Return to Baseball Leftovers

When will the Indans call up LaPorta???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When will the Indans call up LaPorta???

Postby itzyaboyrd » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Since Cleveland is basically waiving the white flag with this trade, will Matt LaPorta get the call to the majors??? Beyond Grady Sizemore, the Indians aren't exactly loaded in the outfield...Another possibility is moving LaPorta to 1st, which is where he played in college...

What's your take?
Batters Stat Categories:
(R), (H),(1B), (2B),(3B),(HR),(RBI),(SB),(BB),(IBB), (HBP), (K), (AVG), fo (CYC), (SLAM)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
(IP), (W), (L), (CG), (SHO), (SV), (ER), (HR), (K), (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ (WHIP), (PICK), (NH), (PG), (BSV)
itzyaboyrd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When will the Indans call up LaPorta???

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:45 pm

I think he's basically guaranteed to be a September callup now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:11 pm

September call-up seems most likely, although once the dust settles from this trade maybe we'll get more definitive word on it.

I wish they'd just call him up today or tomorrow, how sweet would that be? Probably won't go down that way, though.

Here's a good read I just found on LaPorta.
http://www.moundtalk.com/prospects/matt ... ng-report/

I like this part the best:
LaPorta stands at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds. He bats and throws right handed. When he stands in at the plate, everything about him screams power. He has plus-plus power and his power ceiling is as high as anyone in recent memory. His college, and early professional stats are an indication of his power and he has shown he can hit the ball out of the park anywhere and with any bat.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:LaPorta stands at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds. He bats and throws right handed. When he stands in at the plate, everything about him screams power. He has plus-plus power and his power ceiling is as high as anyone in recent memory. His college, and early professional stats are an indication of his power and he has shown he can hit the ball out of the park anywhere and with any bat.

I wonder if he's projected to be a power hitter.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 am

Ha, that is pretty hilarious. I didn't even notice the first time I read it how many times they use the word "power" in that paragraph. Somebody find this blogger an editor at once! :-b
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 am

I think LaPorta is the biggest potential impact bat in the minors right now, with more power potential than his AA teammate Mat Gamel. LaPorta is slightly older and hence more physically mature, and has stellar plate discpline to boot...

Whenever he comes up with the Indians--and honestly I hope it's right after the ASB--I plan on picking this kid up and giving him an audition in my outfield (5 OF + UTIL league, so plenty of room).

In 200 AB, there is a very good chance he could smack 12 HR with a solid .280-.290 average, with RBI + R depending heavily on lineup spot.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 pm

It wouldn't shock me to see them call him up sooner rather that later. They might feel some pressure to show that they got something for CC.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm

moochman wrote:It wouldn't shock me to see them call him up sooner rather that later. They might feel some pressure to show that they got something for CC.

But then again, that might be too much pressure for the youngster. I'd probably promote him to AAA first and if he hits well, then call him up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Philomath » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Yoda wrote:
moochman wrote:It wouldn't shock me to see them call him up sooner rather that later. They might feel some pressure to show that they got something for CC.

But then again, that might be too much pressure for the youngster. I'd probably promote him to AAA first and if he hits well, then call him up.

Agreed. And I would assume that the Indians would try to limit his ABs to the 130 minor cut off. Letting him get comfortable in AAA would help w/ that.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 pm

The "Indans" will call him up in September.

The more is important question is: When will Yahoo call him up?????!!!!$$$$$$ WHIR

;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers