Return to Baseball Leftovers

Collin Balester

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Collin Balester

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:56 am

I've been reading some good stuff on this guy. 22 years old, 6'5 200lbs can git 97mph on the gun and has been labeled "The Franchise" by his teammates. He looked good in his 1st start against the Marlins but got in a little over his head against Cincy tonight after he laid out a fat one to Adam Dunn but I was impressed with his pitch selection and velocity. With most hard throwers control can be a problem but he has 2 off-speed pitches (curve and change) to compliment his high 90's fastball. He really has had a breakout year in the minors and has been told that he will stay in the Nationals rotation. But at only 22, those skills might translate into a stud top of the rotation starter. Keeper and dynasty leagues have been warned.

The Good: Balester's greatest strength is his lack of any glaring weakness. He has a big body, clean mechanics, and his fastball sits consistently in the 90-94 range, which he also commands well. His plus curveball has heavy late break and is his best pitch, and he also has a decent changeup.
The Bad: Balester's biggest weakness is his lack of any obvious strength. He doesn't have any plus-plus offerings, and is often quite hittable, as his fastball doesn't have a lot of movement. His changeup is his weakest pitch, leaving him susceptible to left-handed hitters at times. BP

He was 9-3 with a 4.00 ERA and struck out 64 batters in 78 2/3 innings at Triple-A Columbus. NL-only leaguers will probably want to take a wait-and-see approach.
Source: Nationals.mlb.com

Monday, February 18, 2008

Position: Pitcher

Height: 6-5

Weight: 190 pounds

Born: San Francisco

How acquired: Selected in the fourth round of the 2004 player draft

2007 statistics at Class AA Harrisburg: 17 starts, 98 2/3 innings pitched, 2-7 with a 3.74 ERA

2007 statistics at Class AAA Columbus: 10 starts, 51 2/3 innings pitched, 2-3 with a 4.18 ERA

Minor league totals: 82 games, 79 starts, 437 1/3 innings pitched, 18-23 with a 3.99 ERA

Personal: His father, Tom, runs a surfboard manufacturing company, and Collin credits his surfing background with building arm strength.

Scouting report: "His strengths are his size, delivery and fastball command," general manager Jim Bowden said. "He can put the ball where he wants to in the strike zone. He can run it up 92 to 94 [mph].

"Some things he needs to work on are his grip on his fastball. He opens up his fingers. He jams the ball back in there a lot. He has a pretty good curveball, although our people are mixed. Some people think he should go to the slider instead of the curveball. He has a decent change-up. Our people feel that he can get into the rotation at some point this year."

The Washington Times will run capsule Prospect Profiles throughout the spring on Nats Home Plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4on40ObnrMY
Last edited by Havok1517 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Collin Balester

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:WIll he have a fantasy impact this season? What do you expect hiom to be for the rest of the season?

Well, I think if you're after some K's then yes. But he does still play on the Nationals so his Win totals will be tempered and I expect him to have a few bouts of control issues. But I think around 85-100Ks the rest of the way is really possible if he stays in the rotation. I think he'll likely hover around the mid 4 to mid 5 ERA with a 1.30ish WHIP. Still, he's a rookie with a ton of potential. Young, Big, high Velocity, K pitcher. Things are looking up for the Nationals.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm not sure he'll be fantasy worthy much at all this year. He hasn't been that high of a K guy to date in the minors and he gives up a hit per inning as well. While he does have solid stuff, I don't think he's all that close to putting it all together yet. I would imagine 85 Ks from here on out would be absolutely best case scenerio. Keep an eye on him for sure, as you should with most rookies coming into the league but unless you are in a keeper/dynasty with room on your bench to spare, he's likely not going to help anyone out this year, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Agreed with J35J. Shouldn't this be in the minor leagues forum?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Yoda wrote:Agreed with J35J. Shouldn't this be in the minor leagues forum?

Well, considering he's currently in the majors and has already made 2 starts, no.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

Well, considering he's currently in the majors and has already made 2 starts, no.

Oops my bad.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Oops my bad.

Get with the times, man! :^
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:46 pm

J35J wrote:Get with the times, man! :^

Sorry I am a n00b
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:Get with the times, man! :^

Sorry I am a n00b

...not to mention a newb as well! !+)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers