Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Cubs Acquire Harden

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Report: Cubs Acquire Harden

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:40 am

knapplc wrote:Yes, these two hype-machines, Gallagher and Thunder Matt Murton, the Next Great Things for the A's. Buy that, everyone. ;-7

Well tonight Gallagher went 7 IP, 2 H, 2 ER for the win, and Murton batted #2 while picking up 2 RBI. They are both quality players, and I don't really have much of a doubt that they'll be able to succeed for them.

Snakes, the point I've been making this whole thread is that not one of the players the Cubs traded were integral parts of their attempt to win this year.

And nobody here is suggesting they were integral parts, as far as I know.

I keep getting told that no, the players they traded away were far more valuable than the ones they got, and now it's as if Matt Murton and Sean Gallagher were somehow these wonderful, sought-after pieces of a puzzle that, apparently, nobody in baseball had any idea were out there but Billy Beane.

They are definitely more useful to the A's than the Cubs. That's kind of been the entire point.

I'm not saying at all that a #5 starter and a fourth outfielder are anything to scoff at, but the history of both Gallagher and Murton shows that this is what they are.

Did you even read anything I wrote about these guys? The average #5 starter in the major leagues has an ERA in the mid 6's. As far as I know, Sean Gallagher is not that (at the moment he falls somewhere in between #2 and #3).
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... 4-starter/

But I'll give you a chance to explain what history of Gallagher's suggests he will be a #5 pitcher at this level.

Murton is an .800+ OPS hitter, there is always a use for that at this level. And considering the A's were playing Emil Brown every day, Murton is a huge improvement on him.

If you feel they're so wonderful, snap them up by all means. Murton is currently owned in two percent of CBS leagues; Gallagher in a whopping 14 percent. Gaudin, that awful hack, is only owned in seven percent of leagues. The throw-in on the deal for Gaudin, some dude named "Harden," is owned in 96 percent of leagues. Not bad for a guy traded for such future HOFers as Matt Murton and Sean Gallagher.

Fantasy baseball? Ownership percentages? Hmm...maybe you can explain what that has to do with anything?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NorthSider2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Rich Harden's debut today. Any predictions on what he will do? Its gonna be nice to see him in blue ;-D
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm

He's tremendously favored and is facing a God awful offense, so I think he'll have a strong debut, at which point this thread will have 3-pages of 'told ya so, haters!' posts from Cubs fans. :-B
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:He's tremendously favored and is facing a God awful offense, so I think he'll have a strong debut, at which point this thread will have 3-pages of 'told ya so, haters!' posts from Cubs fans. :-B

I so hope he pitches like 2.2 innings and walks off with an "undisclosed injury"

:-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Why has Harden's velocity been down? I haven't seen him in a few weeks, and actually tried pretty hard to trade for him (almost swung a 1-1 deal of him for Torii Hunter). But then I watched the game against the White Sox and his velocity was in the 90-93 mph range on his average fastball, though he could still juice it up to 96.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:13 pm

8 K's and no runs in 4 innings, topping out at 96-97 MPH.
Keeper1125
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:8 K's and no runs in 4 innings, topping out at 96-97 MPH.

He's only thrown 53 pitches too.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby knapplc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Mweir, I don't think we're talking apples and apples here. You're speaking about the future of these two guys, I'm talking about the present. I can't say that you're wrong that they have potential - I like both guys, and they both have potential. I completely agree with that. Where we're apparently having a disconnect is in the now discussion. I think, now, that the Cubs got the better end of this deal. You think (as I'm understanding) that the future may show that the A's got the better end. I wouldn't disagree with either stance.

I've been saying all along that both Thunder and Gallagher are expendable to the Cubs this year, because neither is an integral part of the winning puzzle the Cubs' brass is trying to put together. I don't think you can assail that stance.

And Aussie's take a couple of posts up is probably correct as well, only substitute "games" for "innings." I'm under no misconceptions about A) the Cubs' ability to choke away a good thing, or B) Harden's durability.

:-?

:-o
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Who was the one that said Harden's velocity was down? 8-o He hit 98 a couple of times.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:12 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:He's tremendously favored and is facing a God awful offense, so I think he'll have a strong debut, at which point this thread will have 3-pages of 'told ya so, haters!' posts from Cubs fans. :-B

I so hope he pitches like 2.2 innings and walks off with an "undisclosed injury"

Hoping for injuries....classy.
For once, someone on this site needs to understand that if this were their team, their posts would be totally different. Trade unnessary talent from your club for a talented 26 year old SP, and you would be loving the deal too.
I'm not even going to go on the 'I told you so" rant, because this was the Giants. But what the Cubs got for players that were going nowhere with their club, is pretty damn good! It comes down to this, take it or leave it; the Cubs will not need a corner OF guy or a C for quite some time, and honestly the three position players they gave up would not start for a contender with a decent line-up. You can debate Gallagher's potential all you want, but him for Harden is a no-brainer.
BTW, nice debut. Keep it up kid!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers