Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:23 am

He has hit 1 HR in his last 44 games after hitting 24 last year - and he hit some serious bombs last year. He had that shoulder injury at the beginning of the year - but he said that happens to him about once a year, so I can't see that as causing this much of a power outage. His K's seem to be down and his walks are up by a good margin from last year.

It is likely that the 25 HR power might have been a bit over-achieving, but 15-20 HR should be reasonable. Chalk it up to a bad year and expect 20 HR 40 SB from him next year - or are we looking at a repeat of single digit power?

He went 2-3 round in a lot of drafts this year, he will be losing his 2B eligibility and has been disappointing. Where would you be taking next year?
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby Field » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:17 pm

It appears that this season is a transition year for BJ. I am also somewhat surprised by his precipitous drop in power, but given his new plate approach it's not entirely shocking. His K/BB is much better than last year which shows he is trying to be a complete hitter. His OBP is still good at .380. He should come at a nice bargain next season due to the lack of power and loss of eligibilty. I expect the strides he made at the plate this season to pay dividends in 09.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

Postby Field » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:20 pm

I also wanted to note that I really, really like his swing and balance at the plate. He should also be able to put on some more weight without losing any noticable amount of speed.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I am almost certain that the shoulder injury is the main contributing factor for the power outage. Luckily for me, after his first game back, I was able to send him in a package deal for Braun.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby da bears » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Has he started any games at 2b this season? Just wondering, also is there a site to check this at?? Thanks guys.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:47 pm

da bears wrote:Has he started any games at 2b this season? Just wondering, also is there a site to check this at?? Thanks guys.

Nope, he has played centerfield all year. A good place to check is "Situational Stats" on his Yahoo Player Page. Scroll to the bottom and it has by position ;-D
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Upton has really changed his entire approach at the plate this year. I wouldn't be suprised to see him as the Rays leadoff batter next year if the Rays get another impact type bat for the middle of the order this offseason.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby tah161 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

eh...I still like Kemp better then him.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Without the power he just isn't much more valuable than a Willy Tavares in fantasy. Real life sure, he's a better all around player - but BJ Upton should really be thinking about his fantasy stats.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:06 pm

yep, the loss of 2B eligibility is going to kill his value next year.

He'll be drafted high partially due to name, but I wouldn't want him as my top OF and that's the area he's going to be going in. He'd be ok as a 2 or 3.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers