Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: BJ Upton

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Agreed. Let somebody else pick him up early if he's not going to hit for power AND get the stolen bases. Without 2B eligibility, how far does BJ slip in next year's draft?
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:14 pm

There is still 2 months of baseball left so I would take a wait and see approach. If he goes something like 12-50 then he is Jose Reyes without the SS eligibility but most people will knock him down to top 40-50 range.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:11 am

Yahoo Sports wrote:CF B.J. Upton has been limited offensively for a reason. The St. Petersburg Times reported that Upton has a torn labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder that will require postseason surgery. Upton has hit only eight homers this season and is unable to take a full swing.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -11)

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:45 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Agreed. Let somebody else pick him up early if he's not going to hit for power AND get the stolen bases. Without 2B eligibility, how far does BJ slip in next year's draft?

He could drop 7-10 rnds. His stats just don't make him an attractive OFer.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MrE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:27 pm

moochman wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:Agreed. Let somebody else pick him up early if he's not going to hit for power AND get the stolen bases. Without 2B eligibility, how far does BJ slip in next year's draft?

Wow....Are you serious? I hope you play in my league next year. 41 stolen bases this year. 33 doubles clearly shows he is in line to increase those power numbers. Yes the home runs are down, but he is playing with a torn labrum....it is to be expected.
- MrE -
MrE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:28 am

MrE wrote:
moochman wrote:

Wow....Are you serious? I hope you play in my league next year. 41 stolen bases this year. 33 doubles clearly shows he is in line to increase those power numbers. Yes the home runs are down, but he is playing with a torn labrum....it is to be expected.

Yeah, I over-reacted a bit. I don't know how much wieght I would give to the torn labrum injury. Seems to me that I would protect the future of my team and players by putting Upton at DH and telling him not to steal if he has a torn labrum. One false arm movement and he could easily tear it worse and his career could be in jeopardy.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:33 am

moochman wrote:Yeah, I over-reacted a bit. I don't know how much wieght I would give to the torn labrum injury. Seems to me that I would protect the future of my team and players by putting Upton at DH and telling him not to steal if he has a torn labrum. One false arm movement and he could easily tear it worse and his career could be in jeopardy.

I don't know how much more damage you can really do to it. Pitchers have pitched with a torn labrum in their throwing shoulder in the past. Although the only one I can think of off the top of m head was Brad Radke and he retired after that season.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -11)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:43 am

Wow, 08's not even over and it seems like he's already getting no love for 09. To me that screams good value come draft day.

I'm going against the grain on this one. I think if he slips to round 5, I think you'll have yourself a great value.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:59 am

dclark0699 wrote:
moochman wrote:Yeah, I over-reacted a bit. I don't know how much wieght I would give to the torn labrum injury. Seems to me that I would protect the future of my team and players by putting Upton at DH and telling him not to steal if he has a torn labrum. One false arm movement and he could easily tear it worse and his career could be in jeopardy.

I don't know how much more damage you can really do to it. Pitchers have pitched with a torn labrum in their throwing shoulder in the past. Although the only one I can think of off the top of m head was Brad Radke and he retired after that season.

I can remember reading a quote from Dr James Andrews on shoulder injuries and he said something along the lines of recovery from torn labrum injuries to pitchers were like leg injuries to horses-you just shoot them.
Won't be so bad for Upton, but it could be something that re-occurs or lingers, and may cause real problems if it worsens and he needs surgical intervention.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dicehound » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:30 am

I'll be targeting him in all my drafts. Like someone else here said, he's already shaping up to be a bargain next year. He's very young and hugely talented. This kid is going to be great.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers