Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy available?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy available?

Postby nsulham » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 am

Just caught Buster Olney on SportsCenter this morning and he thinks not only will Peavy be available this offseason, there's also a 75% chance he gets traded. He cited SD's payroll as the main factor and noted if they could get a Haren-type deal in return where they get 4 good minor leaguers back, a deal is likely to happen. Then, in his blog, he goes on to mention Cain and Greinke as two other young pitchers that might be available.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peavy available?

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:55 am

nsulham wrote:Just caught Buster Olney on SportsCenter this morning and he thinks not only will Peavy be available this offseason, there's also a 75% chance he gets traded. He cited SD's payroll as the main factor and noted if they could get a Haren-type deal in return where they get 4 good minor leaguers back, a deal is likely to happen. Then, in his blog, he goes on to mention Cain and Greinke as two other young pitchers that might be available.

I heard the same thing about Peavy.

I'd crap myself we if we traded Greinke...if that happens we better run away with 3 top notch prospects out of the deal!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 am

Interesting. What teams would be the frontrunners to land him?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby nsulham » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Interesting. What teams would be the frontrunners to land him?

I'd say a team that has prospect depth and is looking for an alternative to signing CC/Sheets to huge contracts. Obviously anytime a name like Peavy comes up, the big-ticket teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Cards are instantly mentioned.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 am

I don't necessarily think that the big money teams would be after Peavy since he is signed until 2012 (4 more years). He should definitely fetch more than Haren and could go to any team that has a deep farm system.

Two teams come to mind. The A's? Use him for two years and then flip him? What about the Rays? Would give them Peavy, Kazmir, Shields, Price. That would be sick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 am

Peavy is signed to a very favorable contract.

If the Padres can afford to pickup Giles 9 million option next year, they certainly can keep Peavy around.

I don't see Peavy going anywhere
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Guaranteed Loser wrote:Peavy is signed to a very favorable contract.

If the Padres can afford to pickup Giles 9 million option next year, they certainly can keep Peavy around.

I don't see Peavy going anywhere

it was actually basically a $6MM option as the buyout was $3MM. but yes, the padres seem to be being very cheap.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:18 pm

nsulham wrote:Just caught Buster Olney on SportsCenter this morning and he thinks not only will Peavy be available this offseason, there's also a 75% chance he gets traded. He cited SD's payroll as the main factor and noted if they could get a Haren-type deal in return where they get 4 good minor leaguers back, a deal is likely to happen. Then, in his blog, he goes on to mention Cain and Greinke as two other young pitchers that might be available.

Was very surprised to hear this myself. Didn't Peavy take a "paycut" of sorts to stay in San Diego?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 pm

If any of those pitchers are available I'd think the Rangers would be in on it. They have one of the best if not the best minors and should be desperate to bring in quality SP.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If any of those pitchers are available I'd think the Rangers would be in on it. They have one of the best if not the best minors and should be desperate to bring in quality SP.

The Rangers HAVE to get some pitching.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers