Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking some OF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ranking some OF

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:44 pm

I like Victorino a lot but his playing style and injury proneness scares me a bit. Little guys like Vic who play all out seem to diminish their value rather quickly as they reach age 30.

He still seems a bit underrated, though that may change in 09 since I have no idea where people are looking at him to go.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fast dogs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:13 am

Victorino is going to be 28 next month, added 13 points to his avg this year, HR went from 12 to 14. No reason to think those HR couldn't keep inching up. Not too bad for your teams leading sb guy. still going to be a bargain in some leagues it appears again next year
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't like Victorino much either. At least as a fantasy player. I like his as a baseball player just fine. But two category guys just don't do it for me. I'd much rather take a chance on a guy who might give me good numbers in multiple categories than someone who I know is going to give me good SB, above average R, and not much of anything else.

i dont get how a .290 avg , 15 hr, and 70 rbi is something to sneeze at. people have been drafting crawford for these numbers for years and would be super happy to get that out of jose reyes.

He's never hit 15 homeruns (though with 14 this year, that's certainly not out of the question) and he's never really come close to driving in 70 runs. He's certainly capable of going .290/15/70, but those would all be career highs, or close to it. That's probably the high end of his expectations, with .270/10/45 being the low end. If I was projecting him for next year I'd probably go .285/13/62, which just doesn't excite me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't like Victorino much either. At least as a fantasy player. I like his as a baseball player just fine. But two category guys just don't do it for me. I'd much rather take a chance on a guy who might give me good numbers in multiple categories than someone who I know is going to give me good SB, above average R, and not much of anything else.

i dont get how a .290 avg , 15 hr, and 70 rbi is something to sneeze at. people have been drafting crawford for these numbers for years and would be super happy to get that out of jose reyes.

He's never hit 15 homeruns (though with 14 this year, that's certainly not out of the question) and he's never really come close to driving in 70 runs. He's certainly capable of going .290/15/70, but those would all be career highs, or close to it. That's probably the high end of his expectations, with .270/10/45 being the low end. If I was projecting him for next year I'd probably go .285/13/62, which just doesn't excite me.

Well, you have to also throw in his 100 runs and 40+ SB's if you want to consider his overall value...if he was available 9th/10th round, I'd take him. ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers