Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:37 pm

mweir145 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Old_Style wrote:I thought 15% was standard.

We don't tip over here so I wouldn't have a clue.

More research required. :-S

So everybody in Australia has the same opinion towards tipping as Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs? Or what exactly? :-b

We actually pay people a proper wage here so they are not whore-charming for extra :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Polar Bear » Fri May 01, 2009 5:57 pm

I don't like ARod at all, but I am getting a bit tired of this assault on baseball.

Personally I think it is time for Selena Roberts and others to go and do some investigative reporting on Shawn Merrimen, Rodney Harrison and the hundreds of other athletes in other sports that are on these things. Get past baseball already, everyone is on this stuff. I have been working out long enough now to be able to spot guys who cycle and it is VERY common.

The only accusation that really bothers me is the pitch-tipping, however I just don't think ARod did it. Just sounds implausible that he would get away with it. Also where are the names of the pitchers that allegedly grooved pitchers to him. I don't like ARod and thinks that he has ZERO integrity, but I don't think he is that stupid.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby wake » Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 am

Old_Style wrote:I thought 15% was standard.

I consider 15% to be the absolute minimum now. I think 20% is generally the standard.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby moochman » Sat May 02, 2009 10:36 am

Polar Bear wrote:The only accusation that really bothers me is the pitch-tipping, however I just don't think ARod did it. Just sounds implausible that he would get away with it. Also where are the names of the pitchers that allegedly grooved pitchers to him. I don't like ARod and thinks that he has ZERO integrity, but I don't think he is that stupid.

That really bothers me too. I don't know how common something like that would be, but it speaks to a selfish nature of a player that he would only be thinking of his stats rather than of winning. ( I wonder what his numbers are in blow outs vs close games, teams out of contention vs those in the hunt, etc.) No lead is safe in baseball, especially in Texas. I would think, though, that players would talk and pitchers would listen. A Rod would have been beaned a lot.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 am

mweir145 wrote:
"Was he on steroids in high school?" Canseco said in the book, the Daily News reported. "I think probably so. I worked out with him when he was 18. He could lift almost as much as I could."

Ah, yes. The Canseco test. If you can lift "almost" as much as Jose, and if you're near his age or younger, then you're on steroids.

It's really indisputable. I don't know why they bothered with the rest of the book. :-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby CadensDad » Sun May 03, 2009 10:47 am

Polar Bear wrote:I don't like ARod at all, but I am getting a bit tired of this assault on baseball.

Personally I think it is time for Selena Roberts and others to go and do some investigative reporting on Shawn Merrimen, Rodney Harrison and the hundreds of other athletes in other sports that are on these things. Get past baseball already, everyone is on this stuff. I have been working out long enough now to be able to spot guys who cycle and it is VERY common.

Been preaching the same thing now for a while, why is baseball getting all the heat? the NFL has had pro players testing positive every year for a while now yet nothing is done really. It's just annoying at this point
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Yoda » Sun May 03, 2009 10:55 am

CadensDad wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:I don't like ARod at all, but I am getting a bit tired of this assault on baseball.

Been preaching the same thing now for a while, why is baseball getting all the heat? the NFL has had pro players testing positive every year for a while now yet nothing is done really. It's just annoying at this point

Because MLB records are more 'sacred'. ;-7

It's really ridiculous but as long as people still care, steroids will continue to be a big deal in baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 am

moochman wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:The only accusation that really bothers me is the pitch-tipping, however I just don't think ARod did it. Just sounds implausible that he would get away with it. Also where are the names of the pitchers that allegedly grooved pitchers to him. I don't like ARod and thinks that he has ZERO integrity, but I don't think he is that stupid.

That really bothers me too. I don't know how common something like that would be, but it speaks to a selfish nature of a player that he would only be thinking of his stats rather than of winning. ( I wonder what his numbers are in blow outs vs close games, teams out of contention vs those in the hunt, etc.) No lead is safe in baseball, especially in Texas. I would think, though, that players would talk and pitchers would listen. A Rod would have been beaned a lot.

I was listening to XM radio the other day and Buck Martinez, who was a catcher I believe, and he told a story of something like this happening. I think he said it was late in a blowout game and someone was coming to bat for a milestone homerun (sorry I can't remember the details). The pitcher told Buck to tell the batter that nothing but fastballs was coming. That was a horrible recount of what I heard, but what I'm getting at is that it sounds like this is not unprecedented. I bet it happens more often than we'd all like to hear.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Carnac » Sun May 03, 2009 11:33 am

Denny McLain and The Mick

Denny tells his catcher to let Mick know he was going to groove fastballs down the middle. McLain was going for win #31 and had the game well in hand. When the catcher told Mick, he didn't know if he was serious or not. So he let one go by. Mick hit his 535th HR in that at bat to pass Jimmy Foxx on the all-time list and McLain got win #31.

Side note: The next batter was Joe Pepitone. He motioned to McLain to give him a fat pitch to hit. McLain threw the first pitch at his head.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 169)

Postby JTWood » Sun May 03, 2009 12:42 pm

I am shocked and appalled that those stories might be true.

Congress should get involved. We need to amend the Bill of Rights.

Hopefully, Strasburg will save us from these heathens.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers