Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 03, 2009 1:03 pm

apparently MLB is looking into ARod
rotoworld.com
MLB is investigating the accuracy of statements by Alex Rodriguez about his use of performance-enhancing drugs, people within baseball told the New York Times.
Investigators have contacted several of Rodriguez’s associates to determine whether he used performance-enhancing drugs for a longer time than he has admitted, the people said. Selena Roberts is not cooperating with the investigation.

i find it funny that Selena Roberts whos book this all came from is not willing to cooperate.

i dont really like Rodrigues so i would love to see this whole thing blow up in his face.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 am

Here is Peter Abraham's review of Roberts' literary masterpiece, keep in mind he has been dogging A-Rod since the first news of his steroid use came out and supporting Roberts all along.:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/05/08/s ... ent-778929

As I read A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez by Selena Roberts, I thought back to an introduction to journalism course I took at UMass a long time ago.

The professor one day spoke about the difference between writing a story for a newspaper and a column. A story, he explained, contained only what you could prove. A column was what you thought.

The book is 246 pages of what Roberts thinks about Rodriguez. What she proves isn’t much of anything.

Because Roberts broke the story in February about Rodriguez having tested positive for steroids use, I wrongly assumed the book would include other revelations. Instead it’s page after page of “one teammate” suggesting Rodriguez did something wrong. Or “a player” insinuating that he did something else. “Friends” of Rodriguez paint him in unflattering terms.

In her postscript, Roberts acknowledges the use of 19 anonymous sources. But no explanation is given as to why these sources needed anonymity. It’s also unclear whether the 19 sources were used equally or whether one or two sources provided the bulk of the information. We’re supposed to trust her judgment, apparently.

Even those facts that could be documented are not. Roberts, for instance, reports that notorious Dominican trainer Angel Presinal was signed into major league clubhouses by security officers while attending to Rodriguez. But no dates or places are given.

Throughout the book, Roberts even places herself in Rodriguez’s conscience and writes as though she knows what he was thinking. In her version of his thoughts, Rodriguez is a weak-willed, narcissistic cheater and womanizer willing to do anything to succeed.

Given the completeness of the February story in Sports Illustrated, I expected more in the book, certainly more detail. But the book does not meet the standards of the magazine. It is, in essence, a 246-page column.

This is not to say that Rodriguez deserves the benefit of the doubt. He has admitted to using steroids from 2001-03 and it’s difficult to believe he limited himself to those three years. Roberts is able to prove he associated with suspicious characters and she is a skillful enough writer to lead you believe that Rodriguez probably did use PEDs at other points of his career. There are many layers of hearsay evidence.

But she doesn’t prove anything beyond that he’s not particularly well-liked by his teammates and says a lot of dumb things. That we knew. The rest is unfair to Rodriguez.

Roberts come close. But a good editor would have kicked the manuscript back and told her to come back when she more.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby knapplc » Fri May 08, 2009 11:17 am

I expect little from this book. It's being panned by pretty much everyone taking the time to give it some pub.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby walkoffblast » Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 am

knapplc wrote:I expect little from this book. It's being panned by pretty much everyone taking the time to give it some pub.

Reminds me of the reception for another book some guy called Canseco write. Good thing they were right to pan it because nothing he said turned out to be true.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:30 am

walkoffblast wrote:
knapplc wrote:I expect little from this book. It's being panned by pretty much everyone taking the time to give it some pub.

Reminds me of the reception for another book some guy called Canseco write. Good thing they were right to pan it because nothing he said turned out to be true.

There's a big difference from what Canseco wrote and this. Canseco was a primary source as he wrote about things that he personally saw and did. This book is full of anonymous sources and Roberts' opinion. Did A-Rod use steroids other than from 2001-2003? Most likely, but this book far from proves it.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby walkoffblast » Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

There's a big difference from what Canseco wrote and this. Canseco was a primary source as he wrote about things that he personally saw and did. This book is full of anonymous sources and Roberts' opinion. Did A-Rod use steroids other than from 2001-2003? Most likely, but this book far from proves it.

I never said this book was well put together. I am simply making the point that because something is critically panned does not mean it is not true.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Almost every sports book I have ever read has been ripe with anonymous sources. A large number of the NY newspaper articles and blogs I read everyday attribute much of their information to anonymous sources. Whether that is good or bad I don't know but I find it highly suspicious that it has suddenly become a problem of this magnitude.

I am no big fan of Selena Roberts but there is undoubtedly a smear campaign being waged against her. I just got done reading the book and I would say it's definitely a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the topic and is not nearly as bad as the mainstream sports media is presenting it. Do I believe everything in the book? No. But I would say that most of the negativity bordering on hate Selena Roberts is receiving is unfair.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri May 08, 2009 2:52 pm

But what's her evidence? That A-Rod looked like he had man boobs one time he was on Letterman? Everything I've heard has been circumstantial speculative *. Does she have anything hard on him??

mod edited
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Most of what you've heard is probably wrong. I'm not going to get into the position of defending this book because I just do not care enough. All I am saying is this: the book is being misrepresented. Read it yourself and make up your own mind but don't let the talking heads do the thinking for you.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby knapplc » Fri May 08, 2009 3:40 pm

walkoffblast wrote:

True, but there's a MASSIVE difference between Canseco writing a book about things he saw and did, and Selena Roberts writing a book about things she heard from anonymous sources. Further, putting herself inside ARod's brain and writing about what he thought and felt is ridiculous.

I'm a Jose Canseco believer now. He's been right too many times not to believe at this point. But until ARod comes out and says that the things Roberts wrote about what he was thinking were true... eh. I'll remain skeptical.

And I've yet to hear anything in the media I've listened to that would even come close to a smear campaign. Mainstream media is panning this book much like they pan other bad books. It has to get to a pretty severe level to rise up to what most people would consider a smear campaign.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers