Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Postby JTWood » Sat May 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Amazinz wrote:Whitlock is at the spearhead of this smear campaign. People are fighting one (perceived) character assasination with another.

Fight fire with...?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 12:57 pm

It definitely seems to be working. But there is something about it that gives me the willies. Anyway, I guess I'd much rather see people attacking the book on a factual level than an ad hominem assault, which is what this seems like to me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby JTWood » Sat May 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:It definitely seems to be working. But there is something about it that gives me the willies. Anyway, I guess I'd much rather see people attacking the book on a factual level than an ad hominem assault, which is what this seems like to me.

Admittedly, I haven't - and won't - read the book, but it sounds like the the way she constructed the book is such that the only way to refute her claims is to make a counter book entitled "Uh Uh." I mean, every source is supposed to be off the record. It's a pile of hearsay and conjecture. How do you combat that???

Actually, I'm sure the Hooters waitresses that only got 15% aren't off the record, but let's face it. Who cares? :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 pm

As far as Peter Abraham's review, if you read him every day you know that he really doesn't like A-Rod. He has been in support of all things Serena since the first news broke about the steroids use. For him to give the review he did, the actual book made him take a 180 on his whole stance and his objective has never been to discredit Roberts.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby walkoffblast » Sat May 09, 2009 9:05 pm

There was a federal case about the anonymous sources in Game of Shadows yet we are getting more coverage of them for this book. Sure nothing fishy about that.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun May 10, 2009 2:01 am

JTWood wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It definitely seems to be working. But there is something about it that gives me the willies. Anyway, I guess I'd much rather see people attacking the book on a factual level than an ad hominem assault, which is what this seems like to me.

Admittedly, I haven't - and won't - read the book, but it sounds like the the way she constructed the book is such that the only way to refute her claims is to make a counter book entitled "Uh Uh." I mean, every source is supposed to be off the record. It's a pile of hearsay and conjecture. How do you combat that???

Actually, I'm sure the Hooters waitresses that only got 15% aren't off the record, but let's face it. Who cares? :-b

Exactly. How do you attack the book on a factual level when most of the book is based on unnamed sources?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 am

:-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:...most of the book is based on unnamed sources?

You can attack the lack of sources. It's the attack on her integrity that is problematic to me. If her professional and personal integrity needed to be called into question due to the Duke case why wasn't it done then?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 am

What is this book that everyone is talking about, and when does it come out? :-L

+ Adds to cart.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 am

Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:...most of the book is based on unnamed sources?

You can attack the lack of sources. It's the attack on her integrity that is problematic to me. If her professional and personal integrity needed to be called into question due to the Duke case why wasn't it done then?

Isn't that what people like Whitlock are doing?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers