Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rafael Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SharukhIsReallyCool » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:57 pm

RynMan wrote:
Dude86 wrote:He's not a closer. He's not a starter. He's not even a set up man. He has no fantasy value.

this is the dumbest remark i have ever heard in here. in 40 games the guy had an ERA of 1.53 and a WHIP of 0.79. Hmm yeah there isnt much fantasy value there at all. I see soriano this way. He will be next in line for the closers job, and he is also next in line for a rotation spot. so guardado or one of their closers only has to slip or get hurt and soriano will be in that slot, and you can count on some great figures, until then they guy is gonna shave a ton off you teams whip and era!!

he will be ready for the season, he strained a muscle in his side....he'll be fine.

Right on, he is in a similar situation as the one johan santana just broke out of last year (no defined role), he still has value though and is potentially immensely valuable.
SharukhIsReallyCool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dude86 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:58 pm

RynMan wrote:
Dude86 wrote:He's not a closer. He's not a starter. He's not even a set up man. He has no fantasy value.

this is the dumbest remark i have ever heard in here. in 40 games the guy had an ERA of 1.53 and a WHIP of 0.79. Hmm yeah there isnt much fantasy value there at all. I see soriano this way. He will be next in line for the closers job, and he is also next in line for a rotation spot. so guardado or one of their closers only has to slip or get hurt and soriano will be in that slot, and you can count on some great figures, until then they guy is gonna shave a ton off you teams whip and era!!

he will be ready for the season, he strained a muscle in his side....he'll be fine.

I don't care how good a middle reliever is because MIDDLE RELIEVERS HAVE NO FANTASY VALUE. If he happens to obtain a starting or closing job then he'll have some value.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SharukhIsReallyCool » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:I read an article where Soriano, himself, said he doesn't feel comfortable staring games and he wants to be a closer. To me, that says that he will never be a starter

Interesting, he was a starter throughout the minors with great sucess, try and find that article man. I'd like to see it.
SharukhIsReallyCool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SharukhIsReallyCool » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:00 pm

Middle relievers with whips that resemble typos have value.
SharukhIsReallyCool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dude86 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:02 pm

SharukhIsReallyCool wrote:Middle relievers with whips that resemble typos have value.

No, they don't. Unless your in the deepest league ever there is always a better option than a middle reliever. A middle reliever is nothing more than a wasted roster spot unless you're in a kepper league then you can hold on to him.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LIMAster » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:10 pm

Dude86 wrote:A middle reliever is nothing more than a wasted roster spot unless you're in a kepper league then you can hold on to him.

Someone needs education on the LIMA system. ;-)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/featur ... &column=17

First, LIMA is a draft strategy that was invented by Ron Shandler of BaseballHQ.com, a terrific pay site for those that want in depth statistical analysis. LIMA stands for Low Investment Mound Aces and the idea is simply this:

Spend $200 of your $260 on hitting, but don’t pay over $30 for any one hitter. Doing this, you should be able to win all of the offensive categories - or at least be at the very top. Seriously, if screw it up after spending $200, you’re either really unlucky, hopeless or Dan Evans. The part you need to worry about is pitching, where you only have $60 to fill out your staff.

$30 of the 60 should be spent on saves. The rest of the money should be spent on cheap, low risk middle relievers and as many starters as you need to barely get past your league’s IP requirement. Shandler defines a LIMA pitcher as someone who:

-- Has a K/BB ratio of 2.0 or better

-- A K/9 ratio of 6 or better

-- A HR/9 ratio of 1.0 or less.

In other words - pitchers that strike out twice as many as they walk, who strike out at least 6 guys every 9 innings and who give up at most one HR a game. You should be able to win (or be high up) in WHIP and ERA, upper half in saves and you’re hoping to vulture enough wins to get a few points there. So that’s LIMA in it’s essence.

Properly played, good middle relievers have tons of value.
LIMAster
T-Ball Trainer

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:27 pm

Dude86 wrote:
SharukhIsReallyCool wrote:Middle relievers with whips that resemble typos have value.

No, they don't. Unless your in the deepest league ever there is always a better option than a middle reliever. A middle reliever is nothing more than a wasted roster spot unless you're in a kepper league then you can hold on to him.

so let me ask you this. if jorge julio and raphael soriano were both FA's, you would go for Julio? Why? cuz hes a closer? cuz he helps you in saves? the guy kills your whip and era!!! he helps one category and kills two, like most mid to lower tier closers. Soriano helps ERA and WHIP and reduces them SIGNIFICANTLY.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:16 am

Middle relievers with no where to go don't have much value. I'll agree with that. But young middle relievers who may close or start during the season can be extremely valuable. Especially those with the stuff soriano has. I picked up Santana off waivers about a week after my draft last year. He was on my bench most of the time but when I had pitchers who had tough matchups I would throw him out there to get his 1.5 ks per inning and great WHIP and ERA. And I was hoping he'd get a shot at starting and finally he did and he carried my team to the championship. Taking a gamble like that with a talented youngster is much more appealling then grabbing some old starter that will get lit up ever time out there.

Soriano or Tomko? I take Soriano everytime
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:07 am

SharukhIsReallyCool wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I read an article where Soriano, himself, said he doesn't feel comfortable staring games and he wants to be a closer. To me, that says that he will never be a starter

Interesting, he was a starter throughout the minors with great sucess, try and find that article man. I'd like to see it.

actually your wrong, he was an outfielder till he prooved he couldn't hit at all. then they converted him to a starting pitcher. 2 reasons i don't like soriano as a starter much. one, he lacks a change up and two he has had a few injuries and i don't think he will be able to throw many innings. they should make him a closer in my mind.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:45 am

hybrid wrote:
SharukhIsReallyCool wrote:

actually your wrong, he was an outfielder till he prooved he couldn't hit at all. then they converted him to a starting pitcher. 2 reasons i don't like soriano as a starter much. one, he lacks a change up and two he has had a few injuries and i don't think he will be able to throw many innings. they should make him a closer in my mind.

thats true - he was once a hitter. but it was only 5 or 6 years ago that he never played a baseball game in his life. He has enough raw talent to be "something" valuable (either starter or reliever). Maybe the injuries are just a sign that his body is not used to the everyday grind yet. He pitched winter-ball and was the starting ace for the Dominicans, so i'm sure that has something to with it..... The Angels were upset with K-Rod for pitching in winter-ball, and he was only used as a closer. Maybe Soriano is feeling tired, saw how K-Rod is healthy coming into spring training, and says "hey, i want to be a closer too". who knows... i hope the Mariners keep taking it easy with him until he's ready

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers