Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pre-Season Keeper Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pre-Season Keeper Rankings

Postby jmurphy_j » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Does anybody know where i can find pre-season player rankings for Keeper Leagues?

I already know about SportingNews (which is good, but only a top 100), and RotoWorld. But I would like to have a greater variety of "expert" opinions.

Thanks.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pre-Season Keeper Rankings

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Not sure whether keeper rankings should be that much different from 09 rankings. You probably want to inflate younger players who are trending upward a bit but other than that, I would stick with your normal rankings.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby jmurphy_j » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I definitely look at regular rankings too, I just like to gather as much info as I can.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmurphy_j » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Whoa, no need to overreact! There's no way I would end up with a line up of "Jeff Clement, Chris Davis, Alexei Ramirez, Alex Gordon, Elvis Andrus, Justin Upton, Elijah Dukes, Colby Rasmus." I actually found j24jags's response insulting!

What I am trying to figure out is how much to bump up those guys. Take Justin Upton, for example. CBS and Sporting News have Upton ranked as somebody to take in the 22nd or 23rd round of a 10-team league. Since I'm in a keeper league, I plan on drafting him higher than that. What I want to learn from Keeper Rankings is whether I should bump him up just 1 or 2 rounds...or should I consider taking him in the 15th round....or maybe he deserves to go even higher than that.

Similarly, I am trying to figure out how far to drop the old farts like Chipper Jones. Should he slide just a few spots...should he drop a full round....or maybe he should he fall 2+ rounds.

My draft-day list for the keeper leagues wont be too different from my list for regular leagues, but they will be different. And I don't think it's unreasonable to try and find expert help on the web to help me determine just what those differences should be.

Don't worry, i'm not planning on drafting Justin Upton before Magglio Ordonez, but in a Keeper League draft I might draft Upton before Johnny Damon.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:36 pm

How many guys does each team keep and what are the simplified rules? For example are your keepers just your first X picks, your first X last picks, do you use contracts of various lengths, do you keep people at the round you drafted them, an adjusted round you draft them in, etc?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I agree that for the most part all you need to do is adjust your regular rankings to account for relative player ages in keeper leagues -- moving older, veterans down and young, up-and-comers up on your regular lists. But it's still sometimes helpful to see opinions on just how much said player should be moved.

The list I've found most useful over the past couple of years is on KeeperFantasyLeagues.com. If you follow the link you'll see that they only have catcher rankings right now. But I'm sure they'll have the rest up before the season starts.

Here's another site you might find useful. They have every position ranked (follow the link on the right hand side of the page) with a little bit of analysis for why each player was ranked where they were: Keeper League Rankings
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -62)

Postby jmurphy_j » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm in 2 at least keeper leagues this year.

One is in it's 2nd year and is a 10-team, 5x5 roto with 10 keepers per team, no restrictions on the keepers.

The other is starting it's 1st year and the rules are TBD.

I definitely understand that the number of keepers and other rules make a huge difference. (i.e. deeper prospects like Laporta have real value in a Dynasty league, buthas no increased value in a keeper league where you keep only 2 or 3 players each year. I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible to assist me in making my own draft-day cheat sheets.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Keeper values depend so much upon the particular rules of your league, that I'm not sure overall keeper rankings are going to be relevant. For example, I've used two different kinds of keeper systems. One included signing players to contracts of various lengths, and there was extra value in players that were in there final years of a contract. In another league, rookies have a lot of value.

That said, here are two bits of advice:

1. It's extremely valuable to look at recent drafts. I keep a record of the drafts from several years back, and can look at them to see trends in my league. E.g., when big-name prospects were drafted, whether some teams have a propensity to draft young players earlier than others, etc. If it's a new keeper league, it'll probably take a few seasons for people to value players accordingly, so you'll just have to work out your own system and be flexible.

2. Looking at rankings, keeper or not, can still be really useful. In my keeper system, players taken later in a draft cost less to keep than players taken earlier, which creates some interesting dynamics (this may not be true for your keeper system). I find it's useful to look at rankings with two broad categories in mind, who will help me this year, and who will be a useful keeper. I then can look at lots of rankings, which intersperse players from my two categories, and extract relative rankings for each category. Earlier in the draft when I'm looking for starters I look at my rankings from category one; later in the draft I go to my second category rankings.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question about a good source of pre-season rankings, but essentially what I'm saying is that if you parse any rankings accordingly they'll be useful.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers