Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera signs with A's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera signs with A's

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 am

kab21 wrote:I've always gotten the impression that Sweeney will be platooned. Who is his platoon partner in these scenarios?

Cunningham perhaps, if he's ready.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 am

Maris09 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:1. Sweeney
2. Cabrera
3. Giambi
4. Holliday
5. Cust
6. Ellis
7. Chavez (for 2 weeks, then Hannahan)
8. Suzuki
9. Buck

There is no way they hit Giambi and Cust back to back.
I guess they could hit Cust (with all his walks) 2nd, Holliday 3rd, and Giambi 4th....but there's no reason to hit the lefties back to back.
I'm also pretty sure they hit Cabrera near the top somewhere, as he's done most of his career.
Last year Ellis was one of their more clutch hitters, so he'll hit higher than 8th.
They are high on Sweeney and it's always been their plan to try and lead him off.
I watched about 90% of their games last year, and I think this is very close to how their lineup will hash out.

I like this lineup as well but personally I'd rather see Cabrera and his career .322 obp at the bottom of our lineup. Flip Suzuki and Cabrera and I'd be happy.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 am

i'd like to see cust/holliday/giambi at the 2-4 holes but who knows what they'll do. i'm not sure how that'd affect holliday's value with cust clogging up the base paths so he can't steal bases.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:48 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:i'd like to see cust/holliday/giambi at the 2-4 holes but who knows what they'll do. i'm not sure how that'd affect holliday's value with cust clogging up the base paths so he can't steal bases.

I think being in Oakland kills Holliday's SBs, doesn't matter who is in front of him.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 am

SlightlyStoopid wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i'd like to see cust/holliday/giambi at the 2-4 holes but who knows what they'll do. i'm not sure how that'd affect holliday's value with cust clogging up the base paths so he can't steal bases.

I think being in Oakland kills Holliday's SBs, doesn't matter who is in front of him.

meh, i think they'll let him run still. his success rate last year was very good.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:45 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
SlightlyStoopid wrote:

meh, i think they'll let him run still. his success rate last year was very good.

It's not that OAK hates SBs with a dire passion, it's that they hate unproductive SBs. Holliday will stlll get his SBs, regardless of the batting order.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah I mentioned that in my post, but it did feel weird typing it :-D
I suppose they could then leadoff with a right handed Cabrera (or even Suzuki) and still go left / right all the way down.
From what I remember they are very high on Sweeney though, so it would not surprise me if he got first crack at leading off.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Maris09 wrote:

Yeah I mentioned that in my post, but it did feel weird typing it :-D
I suppose they could then leadoff with a right handed Cabrera (or even Suzuki) and still go left / right all the way down.
From what I remember they are very high on Sweeney though, so it would not surprise me if he got first crack at leading off.

i think sweeney would still lead off.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Geren has said on a couple of occasions that he'd like Cust to bat 2nd.
Whether the hand up his butt decides that is the right way to go come opening day is yet to be seen. :-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm

LOL Crosby wants to be a starting SS somewhere. I give him 2 weeks before he is DFA'd.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers