Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myers or Eaton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KDOGG » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:27 pm

lol no way will he have 5-7 MORE wins that eaton but id rank meyers alittle higher but i dont think you will be dissapointed by either one of these guys this year IMO.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:45 pm

KDOGG wrote:lol no way will he have 5-7 MORE wins that eaton but id rank meyers alittle higher but i dont think you will be dissapointed by either one of these guys this year IMO.

IF he pitches as well as he did when he was 'on' last year, I'd say he could do it. That's a big stretch but not totally out of the question if he worked hard during the off season. That's why they call it gambling though :-) :-) :-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:47 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Both are risks, and I say just pick one, b/c neither has a better chance to be better this season.

The sentence is the best example of ambiguity that I have seen in a while. Why say anything at all? Hehe, sorry.

Myers is a clear choice here.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:54 am

Myers has shown me very little. As for Eaton this is his 2nd year removed from TJ surgery, I expect an improvement in Eaton this year. Also the Pads offense is improved over a year ago, he will get more wins. If you really look at the Phils offense it is not that impressive.

1. Byrd-Ok
2- Rollins- may bounce back
3.- Thome- a notorious slow starter, the broken finger won't help
4. Burrell- why does everyone think he will rebound???????
5- Abreu- the best bat outside of Thome
6-Lierberthal- 13 HRs last year, wow
7- Polanco- a solid player
8- Bell- definately not Rolen

If you look at that lineup outside of Thome and Abreu I see nothing special. Though I do think Rollins will rebound.

Pads
1. Burroughs- same level as Byrd
2. Loretta- Polanco clone
3. Giles- may be the best hitter on either club
4- Nevin- If healthy a definate threat, I think he is better that Pat the batless
5- Klesko- should rebound from injury not as good as Abreu but close
6- Payton- better than Polanco
7- Hernandez- 21 HRs as opposed to Lie.. 13
8- SS to be determined

If you look at this lineup Giles Nevin and Klesko can be scary to opposing pitchers.

Bottom line I think the Pads lineup may be better than the Phils. I do not see an increase in run support for Myers it we remain roughly the same as last year. As for Eaton the additions of Giles, Payton and Hernandez as well as the improved health of Nevin and Klesko are reasons to think that hte Pads will give Eaton more run support.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Zen Boy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:21 am

I guarantee the Phillies offense will put up more runs than the Padres, there's no question.

I like Myers, if he can improve even a little bit on last year he'll be damn solid. Eaton does distinguish himself though for putting together a stretch at the end of the 2000 season and beginning of the 2001 season where he was one of the best pitchers in the game. Problem is, that was a long time ago.
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby red » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:27 am

Anonymous wrote:Myers has shown me very little.

You make good points in your post about the offenses; but if Myers has shown you very little, you haven't been watching. (For the record, I like Myers strickly for his team and the fact that no other team in the NL East can hit anymore... not the same to be said in the NL West; I digress).
Myers was a top top prospect coming up; he won 14 games last year; he's got terrific confidence, and in a moment of sheer glory took Curt Schilling into a head to head battle tied through 10 innings when they finally pulled him out. He doesn't walk people and he's got a fastball that moves and a curve ball that buckles.
That's nothing?
Young pitchers have bad moments. It goes that way. But this guy is every bit as good as Eaton. (Who is also very good).
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:34 am

Eaton has a better k/9 rate and whip the offenses are similar, though it looks as though Nevin is back at it again. What you guys are forgetting is that Eaton was every bit the prospect Myers was, but Eaton was injured. This will be the first year since the injury that Eaton is fully healthy.

Postby Juhlz » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:47 pm

Myers is a bulldog pitcher who may strikeout 200 this season. He is young and has a very high ceiling with the Phillies - plus he will match-up with other bottom of the rotation guys very nicely. My prediction - He is a steal, winning 17, 185k's, 3.82 era! I have watched both pitchers live and Myers has better stuff and more upside.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:28 pm

Myers will not strikeout 200, unless he pitches 266 innings ala Halladay.

Myers numbers:
14 wins, 4.43 ERA, 143 K's(6.67 K/9), 1.46 WHIP

Eaton's numbers:
11wins, 4.08 ERA, 146 K's(7.18 K/9), 1.32 WHIP

Call me crazy but I take the guy with the lower ERA, higher K's, and much lower WHIP. I will let you guys have the 3 more wins. Though the Pads improved O should negate that.

So really the only reasons I see for taking Myers are:
1. Bulldog of a pitcher, lol
2. Pretty curveball, if only aesthetics counted
3. Hot prospect- don't believe the hype
4. Phils potent O- I think the Pads O is better or at least as good as Phils

Take Eaton people, no wait take Brett (coming to a waiver wire near you) Myers.

THE COW- not logged in

Postby Zen Boy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:4. Phils potent O- I think the Pads O is better or at least as good as Phils

Absolutely no way is this true, I don't even know where to begin explaining how much I disagree with that . . .
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers