Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ian Stewart - the next Utley or strictly a utility guy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ian Stewart - the next Utley or strictly a utility guy?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:01 pm

I've seen a range of opinions on Ian Stewart this year. Sportsline hypes him as the next Utley (but they seem to hype everyone way too much), while Baseball Prospectus says he's overrated. Kid's only 24 and it seems like he has some pop and in my league has 2B/3B eligibility. (He may play some OF, too). The downside is that he apparently K's a lot and it's rumored that he could be sent back down to the minors to start the season.

Your thoughts?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ian Stewart - the next Utley or strictly a utility guy?

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

You could certainly do worse at 2B imo... and even if he isnt the next utley (which I doubt he is), it shouldnt hurt to at least give him a platoon and play him when he plays at coors.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 pm

I would think Stewart is a utility player, but what I hear is he's been fielding grounders at 2B. Barmes himself is having just an OK Spring, but that might not be enough to see Stewart full-time at second at least. I think his PT is also predicated on how Todd Helton holds up which in all likelihood, opens up some time at 1B to Atkins (unless he's traded of course) and Stewart at 3B.

If Stewart comes close to a full slate of at-bats, the best case scenario is he hits 20-25 homeruns and a .270 BA.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby hybrid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Well he won't be a 2nd baseman so I'm not sure why they label him the next Utely, seems silly and short sighted. Also Baseball Prospectus mainly says he just isn't a star (how many actual hitters are?), and points out his obvious flaws that he had last year. Overrated is really pretty relative, you can think someone is and that they will still be good (for ex. Chris Davis).

He should make improvements in his strike out numbers, he has shown that in the minors, though not sure to what degree. So I don't see his AVG as unstable since I think he makes improvements with his plate discipline and Coors helps. The Rockies seem to be pretty commited to getting him at bats one way or another (Barmes doesnt do much, Seth Smith is really more of a stop gap, and doubtful Helton holds up all year) so 450-500AB to me isn't out of the question. He'll show power, likely around 20hr with that but everything else depends on his progress as a hitter and his line up position really. I think he can and should be pretty good going forward, though I agree some are overrating him especially this year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't think he'll every hit for Utley's power even if he does manage to get 2B eligibility and the playing time to be fantasy-relevant. If he gets 600 ABs, the Coors effect will almost certainly make him fantasy worthy, but he's not a guy I would look for anywhere before the end of a draft.

If Atkins or Helton get hurt, (pushing Stewart into the lineup) I could see Stewart being useful. But I don't expect him to play all that much, and any comparison to Utley is strictly hyperbole.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Stewart actually does have 2B eligibility in my league (he played 12 games there last year), and he's fielding some grounders there in Spring Training. It seems to work in his favor that he's already been working out or playing at three different spots (2B, 3B, LF). This indicates to me that they're probably trying to find a way for him to get in the line-up although I don't think the Rockies have come to a decision yet.

Anyways, his 2B eligibility is what would make him really valuable in some leagues where you need to fill an MI slot toward the end of a draft/auction.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ike301 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:36 pm

neither. you gotta be on the permanent roster to be the next utley or a utility guy. ;-7
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:07 pm

I don't think his future is at 2B so I doubt that. Now, us he capable of putting up those type of numbers in his prime if given full-time playing time, yes.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Mr. T » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Utley was much older when he came into the league. I think if Stewart was the full time 2B for the Rox he would be a top 5 2B in a few years with out a doubt. He may fill in at second enough to qualify this year and maybe next in a keeper league, but I don't ever see him being a full time 2ND baseman. I do think that he'll be a very good ball player wherever he plays. I also think that his value will rise this year due to multiple position eligibility.
Mr. T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers