Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avg and Steals vs. Homers and RBI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Avg and Steals vs. Homers and RBI

Postby Lauren Matthew » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:34 pm

Please comment on this strategy:

I feel as though a player who puts up an average with some speed (ala Ichiro) is just as important as a slugger (Derek Lee), if not more. I think steals and average are harder to make up of the difference than HR's and RBI's. With the average and steals comes Runs scored, so you have 3 of the 5 batting categories.
Just a thought, and looking forward to your comments.
Lauren Matthew
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jaroche24 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:36 pm

That is why Ichuro is being drafted ahead of Lee.
Fantasy Baseball is GOOD for the game. Everyday is exciting; it makes following baseball a blast!
jaroche24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby canibus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:39 pm

With HR comes runs and rbi's too. I think they're all about equally valuable. Maybe it makes most sense to have a balance of these two different types of players. Plus a 4-5 cat player or two to help you all around ;-)
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:41 pm

Your onto something there LM - most casual fantasy players do not put enough emphasis on BA, but at the same time, steals dont necessarily have to be had at full price.
I understand the imortance of SBs, but I disagree with paying a high price for a Pierre or Ichiro. The reason being is the availability of quality speedsters later in the draft. There are a number of guys who hit .280+ with 30 or more SBs that can be had for a fraction of the cost - I think thats where the value is.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:54 pm

Power trumps all in fantasy baseball. Would you rather have a daily box score in which you have 5 SB or 5 HR? 5 SB is great, but if you hit 5 HR, you're guaranteed the RBI, runs, and average that go along with them.

SB are also easier to get off the waiver wire than home runs. I grabbed Crawford and Podsednik off waivers last year (both over 40 SB). Finding 40 HR guys off waivers is tougher IMO.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

HR

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:41 pm

9er Fan wrote:Power trumps all in fantasy baseball. Would you rather have a daily box score in which you have 5 SB or 5 HR? 5 SB is great, but if you hit 5 HR, you're guaranteed the RBI, runs, and average that go along with them.

SB are also easier to get off the waiver wire than home runs. I grabbed Crawford and Podsednik off waivers last year (both over 40 SB). Finding 40 HR guys off waivers is tougher IMO.

AMEN!!!

Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers