Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm at Draft Position 2. Too early for Gagne/Prior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:17 pm

Can you deal picks? I'm commishing our league and a #5 swapped his first 2 rounds for #1, thinking a Cardinal maniac would cough up big mojo in exchange for Pujols. That might work for you, if you can get someone down at maybe 5-8 to agree to it. Might be a tricky sell but if 'your heart is set' on those guys, it might be a way to 'break even' on the deal...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sooner711 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:45 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Pedantic wrote:I'm one of those freaks that thinks that Soriano should go #2.

me too.

I agree, Soriano. In fact, I think Pujols and Helton are almost identical. But to have such a 5 cat stud at 2b...
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby prodpaul » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:23 am

Prior is ok to go anywhere in the first round imo. Gagne no. I don't how could of a rp you are I would never draft one in the first round.
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -177)

Postby Casimir » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:42 am

I can see this arguement based upon the limited pool at 2B and how Soriano is heads above the rest of the 2Bs as well as being one of the top fantasy hitters overall.

Can you deal the #2? Any owners in your league overanxious about getting their hands on that pick? Youmay miss out on a 1st round selction, but if you work it out so that you've got 1 extra player from round 3 through the mid range rounds (not sure how long your draft lasts), you can still build up a very solid team at a slightly quicker pace than your competition.
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -6)
Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:51 am

sooner711 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

me too.

I agree, Soriano. In fact, I think Pujols and Helton are almost identical. But to have such a 5 cat stud at 2b...

Make it 4 freaks.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:35 pm

my heart says Prior or Gagne

Then go with your heart, young grassshopper. You'll be regretful the whole season if these guys outperform Pujols and Soriano. Don't be a robot, go with your guts and have no regrets.

Take Prior because Gagne may still be there in the 2nd round.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby biju » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:42 pm

bleach168 wrote:
my heart says Prior or Gagne

Then go with your heart, young grassshopper. You'll be regretful the whole season if these guys outperform Pujols and Soriano. Don't be a robot, go with your guts and have no regrets.

Take Prior because Gagne may still be there in the 2nd round.

I like this style of sentiment, however I would take the concept one step further. You should examine exactly where in your draft you picked these guys up. I suspect you did not pick Prior in the first round last year, but in a later round where his value (with hindsight being 20/20) was way better than anyone else you could have picked. I had a similar situation with Preston Wilson last year and he really helped me to success. However, it was still round 1 through 4 that *really* made my team good; it was just the extra oomf Wilson gave me that took me to the Championship.

I guess what I'm saying is, go with your heart but make sure you're not just playing favorites. Look for the pitcher you can swipe in the 7 - 10 rounds that will be a top 5 pitcher this year and you'll do great again.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:15 pm

[/quote]

I guess what I'm saying is, go with your heart but make sure you're not just playing favorites. Look for the pitcher you can swipe in the 7 - 10 rounds that will be a top 5 pitcher this year and you'll do great again.[/quote]

Now that leads me to the obvious question. Who might some of these pitchers be?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sooner711 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is, go with your heart but make sure you're not just playing favorites. Look for the pitcher you can swipe in the 7 - 10 rounds that will be a top 5 pitcher this year and you'll do great again.[/quote]

Now that leads me to the obvious question. Who might some of these pitchers be?[/quote]

Santana and Beckett have been going around 7 or 8 round in the yahoo leagues I've seen, either one of them could end up great this year.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
sooner711 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

me too.

Make it 4 freaks.

You guys are freakin me out 8-o

This is my first year on 5 x 5, 12 team, keeper. I was all set to take Pujos and now I'm not so sure? :-o

Pujos .350-130-40-125-0 :-?

versus

Soriano .290-90-35-100-35 :-?

So I realize Soriano contributes to all five categories but Pujos numbers in four categories are far better than most.

Does SB compensate for the serious differences in the other four? :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers