Return to Baseball Leftovers

Louis Gonzalez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Louis Gonzalez

Postby Bloody Nipples » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:50 pm

Whats his status for this year? I need to know anything possible about his elbow because I might do this deal

I get Gonzalez/Molina

He gets for Pierzynski/Worrel (we count holds)
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:56 pm

I would not want Gonzales this year. He has lost power and says he is still hurting and will try to play through the injury. Usually when you play through the injury sooner or later you reinjure it and will be out. I wouldn't want him.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:58 pm

I was thinking along the same lines, but I wasnt sure if there was any news I hadnt heard. Speaking of news........ is there any?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby mtarail » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 am

The last I heard was through Sporting News. He felt some pain in his shoulder but refused to have an MRI. He is expected to play opening day, although he's currently being held out of spring training to let the shoulder heal on its own.

I own him in one league and picked him up before I found out he might not be 100%. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have picked him up as early as I did, but on the other hand I wouldn't let him slip too far either. He could be just fine by April and even the 2003 model of Gonzo is pretty valuable--not nearly as valuable as the 2001 model, but valuable nonetheless.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:19 am

Has he lost power? I was reading a fantasy mag article on him and it said he'd spent a lot of time strengthening his arms.

But regardless, once it goes *snap* his season is over.

But you aren't giving up much in that trade. Worrell will be a middle of the road holds guy IMO. The only reason he was so valuable last year was the saves. If all you have to give up is him and Pierzynski, it might be worth looking into. If Gonzo is healthy, he can be pretty damn good. And Molina isn't a huge downgrade fom AJ.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby cannonarm21 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:23 pm

Gonzalez is not being held out of spring training. He has played in 6 of 7 games, and the only game he missed was because he stood up in a friend's wedding. He is 6 for 14 with 7 RBI's this spring.

I can understand the concern, one throw and he could be done. I personally do not believe it is as bad as some if they are going to run this guy out there everyday. I think this is a high risk high reward pick who's reward greatly outweighs the risk at this time.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby mtarail » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:20 pm

I guess you're right. I live in Tucson and when he wasn't at the Dbacks spring training game last Saturday. I figured they were holding out for a little bit.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers