Return to Baseball Leftovers

Urbina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Urbina

Postby soylent green » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:30 pm

Has he signed with a team yet. If so is he in line to be the closer
If you don't see the sucker at the table in the first 5 min.
soylent green Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:34 pm

No.
Yes, with whomever he signs with.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Vikes24 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:12 am

The word here is that if Nathan falters at all during the spring- the Twins will sign Urbina. Apparently he has the same agent as some of the other Villenzuelan Twinkies. That said- I would still pay up to $15 for Nathan and only a buck or two for Urbina come draft day unless something happens before that! I do not see Nathan being the "stud" others are predicting, but I think he will do no worse than Biddle or Borowski did last year.
Vikes24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bell » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:49 am

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN Insider

Ugueth Urbina pitched in the Tokyo Dome as a member of the Venezuelan national junior team at age 15, and enjoyed the experience so much that he talked wistfully about finishing his professional career in Japan.

He just never figured it would happen at age 30.

Alex Rodriguez changed positions to get what he wanted. That's not an option for Urbina, so he's thinking about changing hemispheres. His agent, Peter Greenberg, is in the middle of talks that could lead to Urbina pitching for a Japanese League club in 2004.

"We've had contact with some teams over there, and there's interest," said Greenberg, who declined to identify which teams are pursuing Urbina. "If he goes to Japan, there's a pretty good chance he's never coming back."

One likely contender for Urbina is the Tokyo Giants, who might be in the best position to afford him. Last year the Giants signed Roberto Petagine, another Greenberg client, to a two-year, $16 million contract. The $8 million annual value is the highest ever for a Japanese League deal.

Ugueth Urbina brought stability to Florida's bullpen last season.
Urbina, 29th on baseball's career list with 206 saves, is coming off an exceptional 2003 season with Texas and Florida. He converted 32 of 38 save opportunities, averaged 9.12 strikeouts per nine innings and held opponents to a .204 batting average. He continues to get results even though his fastball isn't what it used to be.

In October, Urbina saved four games, pitched 13 innings and kissed catcher Pudge Rodriguez routinely in celebration of victories on the way to Florida's World Championship. They were the Madonna and Britney Spears of baseball batteries.

But Urbina's expectations didn't jibe with his reception from clubs. He pushed for a three-year contract and held firm even as teams began dropping off the board. He since relented and made it known he'd take two years -- or possibly one with the right club. But Urbina refused to take a cut from his 2003 salary of $4.5 million. That's understandable, considering he'd already been whacked from $6.7 million in 2002.

While Montreal, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Toronto expressed varying degrees of interest in Urbina during the offseason, San Francisco and Minnesota are the teams mentioned most prominently in Urbina speculation at the moment.

The Giants are still waiting to see if Robb Nen can come back from three arm surgeries, and manager Felipe Alou knows Urbina from their time together in Montreal. The Twins, who lost Eddie Guardado and LaTroy Hawkins to free agency, will probably go with Joe Nathan as their closer.

The biggest impediment to Urbina signing with either club is, naturally, money. Minnesota General Manager Terry Ryan and San Francisco GM Brian Sabean both have said Urbina looks to be outside their price range. "We're not even on the same page," Sabean told the San Francisco Chronicle last week.

Greenberg said he's had no conversations with Florida about Urbina rejoining the Marlins on May 1, the earliest he's allowed to sign there under major-league rules. Besides, the Marlins already have filled their closer void with Armando Benitez.

For Urbina, that leaves pitching in Japan or having a sudden change of heart and dropping his asking price. Don't count on it.

Greenberg said Urbina is set financially with multiple real estate investments and was never bluffing when he said he'd retire rather than accept a substandard offer.

"He has too much pride to take another pay cut," Greenberg said. "I've been telling people that he's serious. He's not one of these guys who's nervous and calls you every night because he needs an update of what's going on. He's a pretty strong-willed guy. That's probably why he's such a good closer."
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -76)

Postby nsulham » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:11 pm

If/when Urbina comes back, would you take him over Frankie Cordero?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:14 pm

This is certainly good news. Now I have to rely on Smoltz alone for saves in one of my leagues. :-/
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby wdrub1 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:16 pm

yea i picked frankie over urbina and then got urbina in the last round no one wanted to take the risk.......man i hope he goes somewhere in the states minnesotas perfect they lost latroy and eddie they can use nathan as a setup man plus thats a weak division an urbina can get saves
wdrub1

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:19 pm

thanks bell
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

HELP ME UPGRADE

Postby wdrub1 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:22 pm

i have kennedy should i drop him an get.....
khalil greene
alex gonzalez fla
alex gonzalez ChiC

Cathcer i have phillips
joe mauer
craig wilson(eggggh ab's?)
wdrub1

Re: HELP ME UPGRADE

Postby nsulham » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:23 pm

wdrub1 wrote:i have kennedy should i drop him an get.....
khalil greene
alex gonzalez fla
alex gonzalez ChiC

Cathcer i have phillips
joe mauer
craig wilson(eggggh ab's?)

What's this have to do with Urbina???
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)