Return to Baseball Leftovers

a change to the MLB the playoff format

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

a change to the MLB the playoff format

Postby frog99 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:39 pm

i was reading the post on "making baseball #1" in my opion a great way to increase casual fan intrest and revenue of baseball is to expand the playoff format to 6 teams. 8 teams would be a joke because by mid september teams would have clinched a spot and begin resting their pitchers, but six teams gives even more instenive.

the top 2 teams in each league now get byes, so that powerhouse team in the east that is leading the divsion by 20 games is now competing with the central and west leaders for the chance to rest for 6 days before having to play.

The new system gives an added bonus to teams, now there are more teams playing for a postion in the playoffs.

Even casual fans whatch thirdparty playoff series, so there would be an extra 20 games of national TV money for MLB.

this would increase the exceitment of baseball 5 fold.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:02 pm

#1 - playoff format is already 8 teams.

#2 - with the current format, it's always assured that the best team and the second best team make the playoffs (with 2 other guys), isn't that good enough?

#3 - increasing playoffs means you have to shorten the season, or play in increasingly colder weather. which do you think raises more money, 10 games of playoffs (one week, 4 teams, 5 game series) or 90 games of regular season (one week, 30 teams, 15 * 6 games in a week)?

#4 - NHL and NBA playoffs are already a joke. NFL is okay with 12 teams, partially because they have 2 more teams than MLB, and partially because the season is so short, so the best teams may not have the best records, so an extra wildcard gives them an extra chance.

#5 - The baseball purists would be very unhappy. They already don't like the wildcard. Heck, some people have been mad since they went to divisonal champions (when was that, the 60's?). I'm sure you don't care if those people get mad, but do you really want to hear the whining?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby jbird669 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:31 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:#1 - playoff format is already 8 teams.

I think he means 6 teams per league, 12 overall.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 26)

Return to Baseball Leftovers