Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Matt LaPorta Blast Off Countdown.......HE'S HERE!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Matt LaPorta Blast Off Countdown.......HE'S HERE!!!!!

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:11 am

gbill2004 wrote:I'm hearing that Laporta will be sent back down to AAA once Hafner returns from the DL in the next few days.

theyre basically forcing themselves to make that move. by not playing him, youre wasting him. so why not send him down when hafners activated. its just disappointing that cleveland didnt give him a shot to show what he can do. this was the perfect opportunity, with your big bat on the d/l to bring up your future big bat and let him show what hes capable of. if he goes back down to AAA, ill have no choice but to cut him for now but ill def keep a close eye on him bc at some point this season hes gonna be brought up with the intentions of playing him every day... when that happens :-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spectrum » Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm

No one has said anything about LaPorta getting sent down when Hafner comes off the DL.

Honestly, when Hafner does come off of the DL, who's to say he's going to play more than twice a week? He was only getting 3 games a week at DH, which caused his shoulder to be sore enough to send him back to the DL.

I'd like for them to either send him back down, or DFA Delucci. Francisco still has options as well.

Then again, they just sent down Josh Barfield instead of Luis Valbuena, for some god awful reason. If he's not playing, send him back so that he can!
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 910BronxBomber » Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 pm

Another solid night for Laporta. 1/2, with a run scored, an extra base hit, and a walk.

Espn.com is reporting:
The Indians plan on giving LaPorta, who had sat the previous four games before returning to the lineup on Tuesday, additional playing time in the coming weeks, the team's official site reports. Both David Dellucci and Ben Francisco are struggling and the Indians want to give LaPorta some additional looks. "He's a guy that, as you watch the next week or two, you're going to see play more and more," general manager Mark Shapiro said. "He wouldn't be up here if we didn't expect to play him more and more and help us score runs more consistently."

Of course, we've heard this before, but it looks like it might be time to re-pick him up, if he's still available.

Cheers,
910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 am

the indians have given the indication that the reason LaPorta has spent a lot of time on the bench, was not because they'd rather play someone else, but because they wanted to take it easy on him. Not have him face a bunch of "nasty" right handers his first week up, to try and help his confidence.

I'm not sure that I believe this. My gut feeling is that it's just to take some heat off of Wedge. But, we will see if this is the case.

Shapiro said that they wouldn't call LaPorta up and platoon him. This was either Tues. or Wed.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby soty » Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am

Whats the latest on the rumor I heard of him being sent down? I could make a move or two if I knew he was going to be up for the long haul.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
(Past Year: -154)

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 pm

again, he's not going anywhere. He'll be getting more and more PT.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 910BronxBomber » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 pm

It seems like every time Laporta plays, he scores a run. I'm no rocket scientist, but scoring runs equates into wins for the tribe right?

Cheers,
910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

soty wrote:Whats the latest on the rumor I heard of him being sent down? I could make a move or two if I knew he was going to be up for the long haul.

ESPN wrote:From ESPN.com's Brendan Roberts: "The reason LaPorta started the season in the minors was because the Indians appeared to have plenty of capable options. That hasn't changed, which is why LaPorta hasn't played everyday since being recalled. The Indians are already in desperation mode, and they can't afford to let a rookie get his feet wet while hurting the team. Granted, that could change if the team falls out of the picture early, but I think this LaPorta stop was merely a cup of coffee, and he could even be sent down once Travis Hafner returns. And the kid has shown he's not ready to help fantasy owners yet. I say you drop him in non-keeper mixed leagues."

I don't really agree with this, and I hope this guys is wrong. LaPorta is sure helping my h2h team this week, and I think he is good enough a hitter to, 'get his feet wet without hurting the team.'
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I don't know when exactly that was written. I assume recently.

Unless David Delucci has suddenly morphed into a legitimate baseball player, unless Ryan Garko has stopped swinging the bat like a girl, and Francisco has remembered how to play a fly ball as well as hit a curveball, I'd say the Indians don't have a whole lot of better options.

So I have to question this guys credibility. Last time I checked, even a kid who MIGHT be good, is better than two guys who ARE terrible.

DeRosa might eat into LaPorta's starts at 1B though, if Peralta does stick around at 3B. I certainly like him more there than at short.

Valbuena goes down to AAA when Hafner comes back if a roster move is needed by then. Herges or Delucci could be DFA as well. They're both terrible and old.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fantasyslugger » Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Hes swinging the bat better now. Indians have no choice but to play this guy.

Lets be honest, if a coach lets guys like Delucci, Garko, Francisco cut into his time than the coach needs to be fired immediately for being stupid.
fantasyslugger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers