Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bossman Junior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bossman Junior

Postby lbblue » Fri May 08, 2009 12:31 pm

So what's up with BJ Upton? Are most of you of the "He'll get it going soon and will be fine" mentality or is there something possibly related to the shoulder injury that might cause him to continue struggling.

I'm just curious because I'm considering making a trade offer for him. I know, I know...no trade questions in this forum, so I won't talk about the actual offer except to say that it would only be a "buy low" type of offer.

Apologies if there is already a big thread running about BJ but I didn't see it at first glance.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bossman Junior

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri May 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Tough to say for sure what the problem is. But the shoulder must have something to do with it.

In the past Upton's BABIP has been well above .300. In 2007 it was .399 and last year it was .351. Through 22 games his BABIP is only .246. That is sure to rise. His LD% is down considerably as well, but not all of this can be blamed on this shoulder...a BABIP this low is pretty unlucky.

Once his BABIP normalizes I'd expect his average to climb back to around .280 this year (assuming his contact rate rises a bit as well). His continued lack of power is more concerning. Until he starts hitting the ball with more authority, I don't think I'd go out of my way to get him. Hes been bad throughout the year, I'd want him to at least put in at least a few good games in row before I targeted him in trades. He needs to show some signs of life before he can be considered a fantasy asset again.

That said, given his talent level his upside is still limitless. Like I said, I won't be going after him until he does something, but I couldn't really fault someone else for grabbing him while his value is this low. As long as the offer is a fair one and you could afford to sit him on the bench for a while...you might as well go for it.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -62)

Postby Yoda » Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Shoulder for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 pm

isn't he playing hurt? i think this is J uptons turn to be the allstar.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:00 pm

He must be leading the league in groundouts..that's all he does every time I watch him.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Postby Ender » Fri May 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Lots of ground outs is typical for a guy who is struggling and it is typical for a guy that is hurt, so hard to know which it is. I drafted him in my H2H league figuring even if he gets off to a slow start he'd be good by the playoffs. Passed on him in roto because the shoulder scared me where he was being taken.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 am

The thing I have noticed is that they are letting him work through it for the most part. However, if he puts up another week and all of a sudden its the middle of May and he's still sandwiching worm burners between strikeouts then they'll have to make a change.

I love the upside and drafted depth behind in the leagues I took him but he's got to get it turned around soon or his value will completely tank.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Sat May 09, 2009 12:09 pm

It depends on the player but typically shoulder surgeries take a long time to get back to normal. It wouldn't surprise me if BJ struggles the entire season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby silverZ » Sun May 10, 2009 1:21 am

Is Bossman Junior really his name? :-o
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers