Return to Baseball Leftovers

Micah Owings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Micah Owings

Postby BigL531 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Pure speculation here, but an interesting idea. In his 3 years in the majors Micah Owings looks like he's a better hitter than pitcher. His career ERA and Whip are 4.98 and 1.35 respectively (286 innings), with a much better rookie year than second year. Of course its small sample size, but in 133 major league abs his BA is .316 with 5 Hrs and 24 RBIs, not to mention a .359 avg in 64 minor league Abs. You think at some point he could become a jack of all trades, pinch hitter/reliever/emergency starter? He could be a very useful tool for a manager with a player like that. Anyone think this is a possibility? How would fantasy sites handle it? Dual eligibility??
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Micah Owings

Postby B-Chad » Sun May 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm glad I searched the leftovers forum, as I was going to start a similar thread. I know he was a fantastic dual pitcher/hitter in college, the question is, what was his college position in the field? I have to imagine a guy with his pop, and batting prowess (I will agree though small sample size... but not insignificantly small) the Reds would have to consider at somepoint scrapping him as a mediocre at best starter and turning him into a position player (corner OF with Jay Bruce?) He'd have an absolute hose in the OF. If the Reds did this, they could consider dealing Drew Stubbs for a pitching prospect, and if Bailey strung any kind of consistant starts together, promote him. The only reasons I could see the Reds being reluctant are that their biggest concern is getting some serviceable arms, so why convert one. Another concern I could see is that if they put him in the corner OF, they don't have any place to move Votto if Yonder Alonso flies through the system. In all honesty though, I see no reason not to get him down in AA or AAA working on his fielding, and taking advantage of him as an everyday player, maybe even use him in mop-up duty in blow outs as a long reliever on top of that. If need be, that would leave them Stubbs and Alonso as potential huge trade chips to get some blue chip arms, and a hitting nucleus of Bruce/Votto/Phillips and Owings. Pretty scary if you ask me. Definitely curious to hear some thoughts.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby interchange » Sun May 10, 2009 5:44 pm

B-Chad wrote:the question is, what was his college position in the field?

He was GT's everyday DH and hit cleanup.
Dunno his role after transferring.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun May 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I really think this will be Micah's last season as a pitcher. His stuff is pretty pedestrian. Average fastball with no real out pitch. He's a really good competitor and that keeps him in ball games, but rarely does he dominate the opposition.

I think he'll be the opening day LF for the Reds next year. Votto stays at first and Alonso gets traded at the deadline of '10. I truly believe Micah could OPS .900+ as a DH in the AL right now and have a hard time believing with his athleticism that he couldn't learn a serviceable left field over time.

Oh, and I think Stubbs is AAAA all the way.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun May 10, 2009 6:37 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:I truly believe Micah could OPS .900+ as a DH in the AL right now

I think you're crazy.
If this was true, I'm sure the Reds would have tried him as an everyday hitter already.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 10, 2009 6:39 pm

His numbers as a hitter are better than Ankiels were. I see no reason why he can't be an 850-900 OPS hitter.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -77)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun May 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:His numbers as a hitter are better than Ankiels were. I see no reason why he can't be an 850-900 OPS hitter.

43 Ks/7 BBs in 133 ABs is just awful.
He certainly has talent, but he needs a lot of polishing.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:His numbers as a hitter are better than Ankiels were. I see no reason why he can't be an 850-900 OPS hitter.

Of course. What do you think Ankiel was doing during his time in the minors. Micah would learn plate discipline and how to hit to all fields, while picking up the basics of fielding left field. Seems plausible to me.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -77)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Pinch hitting and not getting regular at bats makes it tough to be consistent at the plate. I think that's a major reason for all the K's.

IllinoisBandit wrote:I truly believe Micah could OPS .900+ as a DH in the AL right now

I think you're crazy.
If this was true, I'm sure the Reds would have tried him as an everyday hitter already.

I'm pretty sure I've read Micah wants to be a pitcher - so I guess teams are willing to go along with that until he proves he can't be one.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Return to Baseball Leftovers