Return to Baseball Leftovers

Showboating/Gesturing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Showboating/Gesturing

Postby nsulham » Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Seems like this weekend was ripe with instances of gesturing and gamesmanship around MLB. From what I can tell, this weekend alone we had:

*Aubrey Huff hitting a 3-run HR off Joba, then doing the Joba fist pump and yelling around first base and as he crossed home plate

*Ryan Braun almost getting hit in the head with a Ryan Dempster pitch, then homering off Dempster on his next AB and staring Dempster down as he trotted the bases

*Casey Blake hitting a homer off Brian Wilson, then making Wilson's save gesture in the dugout

*Jonathan Papelbon striking out three Rays in the top of the ninth for a key save, followed by fists pumps and "the Papelbon monkey-puckering"

Plus there was also Bobby Jenks' intentional throw-behind of Ian Kinsler but I think that's a seperate thing. Anyone have any thoughts on any of the above? Any problems with any of them? Approve of any of them? Just seeing what people think is all ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Showboating/Gesturing

Postby walkoffblast » Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm

I think it is a joke people are trying to make Blake the bad guy in his situation. No matter what the reason behind it, what Wilson does is still showboating whether he intends it to be taken that way or not. If you want something to be personal you do not put it out there for everyone to see.

I find it pretty annoying to watch Joba pitch but the strong ego pitcher has been part of mlb for some time and is not going anywhere. The attitude seems to help them some and is fun to watch when it is for your team. Just do not act surprised when the pitchers actions amp up the emotion and the batter reacts to it.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby mtxdevil » Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 pm

I loved Huff showing up Joba like that. Thought it was hilarios. ;-D
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 pm

*Jonathan Papelbon striking out three Rays in the top of the ninth for a key save, followed by fists pumps and "the Papelbon monkey-puckering"

If there was ever a time for the monkey-pucker, that was the time.

The Huff fist pump was pretty good too. ;-D

My favorite was Eck's finger point toward the opposing batter or dugout after a strikeout.
Last edited by Old_Style on Mon May 11, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby silverZ » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Braun staring down Dempster after the ball at his head was badass.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby The_Natural » Mon May 11, 2009 11:55 pm

At least we didn't have a Red Sox player fighting with another Red Sox player like last year.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 am

Watching Pedro on those games where he got really agitated was always fun.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 am

What Papelbon and Joba do every time they pitch is incredibly annoying. Yes, you just got a save/strikeout, we know you are pumped, just simmer down already.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue May 12, 2009 1:53 am

mweir145 wrote:What Papelbon and Joba do every time they pitch is incredibly annoying. Yes, you just got a save/strikeout, we know you are pumped, just simmer down already.

I cant stand Papelbon...act like you've done it before :-° .
I love mlb.tv i just watched all the cases talked about and I do like the huff one and the braun one is badass. I hated batters showing me up when I pitch. Like staring me down if I hit them with a 1-2 count....like that was on purpose. Sometimes gestures are not needed but sometimes its just emotions getting loose
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am

i LOVED to see what Huff did. i wish more players would do that but exaggerate it and make it look really stupid. the thing is when hitters do it soon after they could be intentionally thrown at for doing it. when a pitcher does it theres not much you can do as a batter except when your able to do something against them like Huff did.

i have also never understood why pitchers get so upset when a batter watches HIS HR. everyone else in the entire stadium can watch a HR except the one who actually hit it? maybe i can understand some if the batter was to just stand still and pound his chest that the pitcher could get upset, but even that wouldnt be entirely why the pitcher would get upset because hes also upset that he just gave up a HR and the standing/watching it would just make it worse.
if i was to play in the majors and ever hit a big HR you damn well better believe im going to watch it atleast a little.. unlike Reds rookie 3B Adam Rosales who sprinted around the bases after his 1st HR.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers