Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harrison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Harrison

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 pm

This guy has a 19-inning scoreless streak. Who is he? I remember he was a huge piece of the deal for Teixeira. But he pitches for Tex, which is good for run support, but awful because of the park. I haven't seen him pitch yet this year, but he's supposed to have a 90 MPH fastball, with a plus curveball and changeup? Is this right? And supposedly he's pretty good at keeping the ball in the park in the minors, and he pitched well in the PCL last year (though not so well in the majors). Is he a possible back-end-of the rotation guy (a guy who you spot start maybe 1/3 of the time?). What's his ceiling as far as being a pitcher's concerned. A #3 (real-life) guy? Thoughts.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harrison

Postby mngopher » Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 am

I am curious to see how he does, since I just picked up off of the waiver wire. Hopefully he keeps pitching well.
mngopher
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 77)

Postby RenPastana » Wed May 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Saw him live when he took the mound against the White Sox...Matt Harrison has really reinvented himself this yr...He's much like a poor man's Mark Buehrle...Won't K many but will keep the ball in the park...Also, he's working quickly like Buehrle which seems to be pretty darn efficient thus far...

The White Sox have an aging line up but when you can shut them down IN ARLINGTON when it's 85 degrees outside...you can't help but like it! ;-D

I wouldn't say he's a must add, but if he can keep this streak up, you might have found yourself a bargain!

Hope this helps
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby hookem2003 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:10 pm

The difference this year is that he stopped nibbling and just started throwing strikes. Also, his FB has found some life and is touching the mid-90's pretty frequently. Don't discount the Rangers' improved defense as well. I think he'd be worth a flyer in an AL-only league or a real deep mixed league.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hookem2003 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Another CG today.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Thu May 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Yea, the Rangers made off like bandits in that deal Harrison/Andrus/Salty are all major league players and will be for quite a while. There was a 4th player to if I'm not mistaken.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 pm

CadensDad wrote:Yea, the Rangers made off like bandits in that deal Harrison/Andrus/Salty are all major league players and will be for quite a while. There was a 4th player to if I'm not mistaken.

Neftali Feliz was in the trade, and he looks like a legit major league prospect right now. There also was a fifth guy, Beau Jones. Not sure how he's doing.... Nevertheless, the Rangers annihilated the Braves in that deal... :,-(
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby DSheppard » Thu May 14, 2009 5:14 pm

I can't say i particularly believe in matt harrison, but I can give some context to his season so far since I've watched every inning hes thrown.

Through 3 and a half starts, his era was right about 10. He was nibbling all day, and wouldn't come inside. Produced too many walks and hitters just slapping the outside pitch opposite field.. too easy. He was pitching scared.

Then, in the middle of that 4th start Mike Maddux went out there and talked some sense into the guy apparently. The next batter he starts attacking inside, throwing strikes and he hasn't stopped since. Throwing inside and throwing strikes are definitely the two keys. Now hes got two straight complete games..

He was a legit pretty decent prospect (top 100 in BA once) but not great. Hes got solid stuff for a lefty. If he maintains this approach he should be a decent back end guy with the potential to be a #3 as was his prospect profile.

However.. fantasy wise.. hes never going to strike many people out, he pitches in arlington.. eh.. i just can't really support him for fantasy. But I like the guy and I'm glad hes doing great for his last 4 starts. Opposing offenses have been pretty weak though.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Return to Baseball Leftovers