Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sizemore moving from the 1 spot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sizemore moving from the 1 spot?

Postby coma » Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 pm

According to the Indians website, their lineup could be shaken up soon. Sizemore would likely move to the 3rd spot. How do you guys think this affects his value? Good or bad?
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sizemore moving from the 1 spot?

Postby Montana168 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 pm

well it will hurt his runs, boost his rbi's and most likely decrease his sb attempts a bit. sounds like a dumb move if you ask me. it is very similar to the marlins moving hanley to the 3 spot. both guys have 30+ homer power but they are natural leadoff men, but because they can hit for that kind of power, their managers think they will fit just fine lower in the order. i doubt it will work out. wedge should be on the chopping block soon (if he already isn't). someone explain to me why you callup your #1 prospect in matt laporta, then let him sit on the bench and have guys like david dellucci and ben francisco start over him. if you were going to let him ride the pine, then keep him at AAA so he can at least be playing.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ender » Tue May 12, 2009 5:22 pm

someone explain to me why you callup your #1 prospect in matt laporta, then let him sit on the bench and have guys like david dellucci and ben francisco start over him

He probably watched him play defense and realized that LaPorta is stretched defensively at DH~.

As for the original question I'd have to assume Cabrera leads off then right? I think I'd prefer him batting 2nd but I was always worried he'd be moved back down to 8th or 9th so overall probably helps his value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Polar Bear » Tue May 12, 2009 5:32 pm

I was waiting for this.

I think Choo should be bumped up in the order. He is a walk machine and will eventually hit around .285 and can steal bases.

The Indians need to do something. Grady is really struggling this year.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 pm

interesting how many decent to big power guys are leading off these days.

soriano, hanley, granderson, sizemore, kinsler.

all of them are big time bets to hit more than 20, and all of them could very well end up with at least 30.

rickey henderson, generally considered the best HR hitting leadoff hitter, only crossed the 20 HR mark 4 times, and never got to 30.

outside of these guys, very few have crossed 20 HR and not many at all have got to 30. in the last 10 years, there have been 9 seasons, outside the guys above, with a leadoff hitter getting at least 20 (1 with 30). rollins had those 2 seasons in a row with 25, then 30. johnny damon has hit 20 and 24 in 2 seasons leading off. and there have been a few random ones this decade, like darin erstad with 25 in 2000, jacque jones with 25 in 2002, wilkerson with 27 in 2004, dellucci with 23 in 2005, and chris young with 21 in 2007.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 pm

I don't care what they do as long as it gets him going again.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby LetsGoYankees » Tue May 12, 2009 5:45 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:interesting how many decent to big power guys are leading off these days.

soriano, hanley, granderson, sizemore, kinsler.

all of them are big time bets to hit more than 20, and all of them could very well end up with at least 30.

rickey henderson, generally considered the best HR hitting leadoff hitter, only crossed the 20 HR mark 4 times, and never got to 30.

outside of these guys, very few have crossed 20 HR and not many at all have got to 30. in the last 10 years, there have been 9 seasons, outside the guys above, with a leadoff hitter getting at least 20 (1 with 30). rollins had those 2 seasons in a row with 25, then 30. johnny damon has hit 20 and 24 in 2 seasons leading off. and there have been a few random ones this decade, like darin erstad with 25 in 2000, jacque jones with 25 in 2002, wilkerson with 27 in 2004, dellucci with 23 in 2005, and chris young with 21 in 2007.

Hanley has been hitting 3rd this year, but I don't think managers really want to put Soriano/Sizemore leadoff..but it seems like they can only hit well in the leadoff spot. Didn't this same thing happen last season? Sizemore struggled and they moved him to the 3 hole and it didn't really do much so they moved him back to leadoff?
LetsGoYankees
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm

well, i'm just saying. it is pretty common now and that is odd. they did move hanley down, for now at least. and they are trying to move granderson down. we'll see. just interesting.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers