Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zimmerman and Uggla...Do they compare in a keeper??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Zimmerman and Uggla...Do they compare in a keeper??

Postby B-Chad » Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm

I hate to sound like Mr. Frairweather, but I don't personally think it's all that close and would take Zimmerman in a heart beat over Uggla in a keeper league. I've never been a fan of low contact all or nothing hitters. Sure the thought of having 30 HR's from 2B is tantalizing, but the batting average is such a drain. What I don't think should be overlooked is Ryan Zimmerman has almost 1900 career AB's and is 24 years old! He's still a baby really, he won't be 25 until September. He's just about a lock for 20-25 HR's in a 600 AB season, and he's just now beginning to enter the prime power years of his career, and I expect that number to approach 30-35 HR's a season. He's a career .288 hitter, and I don't see any reason why he can't emerge as a 100-30-100 .300 3B which would make him a stud at the position. Maybe he'll prove to be closer to a .290 hitter, but I think that's splitting hairs. The fact is, he was able to put up a 84-20-110 .287 season as a rookie with little to no lineup protection. He now has bopper Big Donkey behind him, a decent table setter in Christian Guzman in front of him, we might be seeing the makings of a star.

Sure it's easy to say that now, but I think the gap is large between Uggla and Zimmerman, but of course, I'm only one opinion, good luck!
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Tue May 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Zimmerman for me, Uggla just doesn't appeal to me at all,
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Ender » Tue May 12, 2009 9:59 pm

Let me qualify my response by saying even if you completely took away 2009 stats so far I'd rather have Zimmerman, he was higher on my cheat sheets going into the season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers