Return to Baseball Leftovers

who not to take

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: who not to take

Postby NZF » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:28 pm

LBJackal wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
TreeRucker wrote:guys,

i thinnk alot of us havent' drafted yet. So i would like to have a post on who not to take cause of injury, or just any juststified answer, so there is no mistakes when drafting.

I ll start it-- who not to take:

sheffield
kyle snyder
add more.,

thanks

Why not draft SHEFFIELD?

Because he has a torn tigament in his thumb which could require surgery that would sideline him for 2-3 months.

What the hell is a tigament? B-)

He's playing now isn't he? I seemed to remember someone saying he played with this injury for a large part of last year. I can understand him going now in the 3rd / 4th rounds but not to draft at all! 8-o

If he is playing now the chances are he will be fine. I would be more concerned about a pitcher having injury problems at this time of the season and Prior is still going in the 1st round.

To say forget about drafting Sheffield is crazy talk.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: who not to take

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:15 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
TreeRucker wrote:guys,

i thinnk alot of us havent' drafted yet. So i would like to have a post on who not to take cause of injury, or just any juststified answer, so there is no mistakes when drafting.

I ll start it-- who not to take:

sheffield
kyle snyder
add more.,

thanks

Why not draft SHEFFIELD?

Because he has a torn tigament in his thumb which could require surgery that would sideline him for 2-3 months.

What the hell is a tigament? B-)

He's playing now isn't he? I seemed to remember someone saying he played with this injury for a large part of last year.

tigament = tiny ligament :-D

And I think it was me you saw say Sheff played with the injury last year. Now Atlanta's trainer is claiming that it was only a sprain, but I don't know about that.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby TreeRucker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:05 pm

guys are doin a great job ., any others???
TreeRucker

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mordraken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:47 pm

sigtaulefty wrote:...I figured, 20th round out of 23, who really cares if he gets hurt again. It he stays healthy, it'll turn out to be the steal of the draft.

I totally agree with this. There are very few people who are "absolutley never take" people out there. To say you don't ever want to take Bonds is rediculous. Last season the guy hit .340 with a OBP of .529, 45 homers, 111 runs and 90 RBIs in only 130 games. Heck - even if he plays 100 games he'll put up better numbers than 70% of the outfielders in baseball.

The key is not wasting an early pick on someone. Bonds is defintely worth a 3rd round pick (or anything after). Problem is he won't make it to the 3rd round. If he stays healthy he will put up better numbers than any player in baseball (depending on your scoring; possibly behind A-Rod & Helton).

That said, people that I would be hesitant to spend the last pick in my draft on:
Kris Benson

People that will probably have a much worse season than last year:
Javy Lopez
Kevin Brown
Estaban Loaisa
Carl Everett
Craig Biggio

Injury Risks (but great when they play):
Jim Edmonds
Randy Johnson
Barry Bonds <?>
Luis Gonzalez
Steve Finley (although he's probably also going to be drafted much later than he should based on his numbers)
Larry Walker
Woody Williams (Trade him at the all-star break even if he's 14-0 with a 0.50 ERA and .75 WHIP - believe me!!!)

(injuries to Aaron Boone & Kaz Sasaki rule them out too)
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers