Return to Baseball Leftovers

New to Fantasy Baseball...& a bit confused!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Fantasy Baseball...& a bit confused!

Postby chris8 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I've followed baseball for years (mostly on the WWW as I'm British, and the sport is covered pitifully over here), but this season I've decided to have a go at Fantasy Baseball, and see how I get on.

I know most of the abbreviations, but there's a couple I'm not familiar with. Would someone let me know what these mean, please:

'Sleepers'
'5x5' or '10x10'

Thank you in advance! :-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:56 pm

5x5 refers to the categories used in a league. It litereally means 5 hitting categories and 5 pitching categories.

The hitting categories include runs, hrs, rbis, steals and .avg. The pitching include wins,saves, strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP.

10x10 would mean 10 hitting categories and 10 pitching categories but the specific categories varies.

"Sleepers" - players who are perceived to be undervalued.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby chris8 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:58 pm

Thanks, bleach!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:05 pm

Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Bleach nailed your questions, good job Bleach. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby eli81k » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:33 pm

Just looking at the Mets logo you chose to display here in the forums--do you have any affinity for any particular US city? Or were the Mets just chosen at random?

Either way, to have been following MLB for the past couple years and to be an overseas Mets fan is pretty admirable. Especially as it would have been super easy to take the fairweather approach and proclaim yourself a lifelong Yankees fan.

Hopefully that young infield comes through for you guys this season. :-)
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jbuk » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:43 pm

Hi Chris, and welcome :-)

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, but got into fantasy pretty quickly. If you stick around here your knowledge of fantasy baseball will go up in a very short time, a lot of very knowledgable people in the cafe.

Know what you mean about the coverage being awful in Britain, I can thoroughly recommend getting MLB.TV on mlb.com if you have broadband, and have also heard good things about NASN, but don't have sky/cable so have never seen it.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby titanut » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:04 pm

A little advice, don't even think about trying to pick sleepers, with
your limited info, stick to the conservative approach while you learn
FBB. This board is great for current info. look at the ESPN FBB
site, it gives you the draft order of, who knows, a million drafts.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:32 am

Hey Chris!! Welcome to the Cafe! This is easily the best place to advance your knowledge of FBB and make some friends, as well. Just out of curiosity, are there any Fantasy Cricket leagues in the UK? Cricket is a sport that has begun to grab my attention the past few years, courtesy of a friend who lived in Italy for a year or so. I would love to play some Fantasy form of it.... Or perhaps you don't even know anything about it? Don't mean to imply that all people of European descent are automatically experts on the native sports... :-D ;-D

At any rate, welcome!!! Any questions, just ask..... ;-D
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby chris8 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:50 pm

Hi everyone - thanks for all the welcomes and advice!

To answer some of the Qs - reason I follow the Mets is because my Dad got posted to New York by his company several years ago. He started following the Mets (don't actually know why! :-? ), so whenever the rest of the family went out to see him, we'd go to see at least one game. That was in the era of Daryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, etc (when the Mets had quite a good team!). Still follow them cos you don't give up on a team just cos they've hit a bit of a slump, do you?

In answer to the question about fantasy cricket, I don't actually know! I do follow cricket to some degree (what a result for England against the Windies :-) ), but football (soccer) is my favourite sport - and there's loads of fantasy websites for that!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chris8 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:53 pm

Forgot to say - I'm visiting New York for a week in April, so will definitely pitch up at Shea Stadium whilst there - thankfully, I'm there during a week of home games ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers