Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's discuss Durazo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's discuss Durazo

Postby hartbc » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:00 pm

I'm working out my cheat sheets right now, and what do you think, break out season? I realize that he is a slight gamble and very streaky, but I do have faith.
hartbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:09 pm

Durazo will split time with Hatteberg and Karros so I don't think he'll do any good.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:09 pm

I'm an Oakland fan and I have no idea what to tell you. His power completely went away after an 8HR april last year. The fact that he was about the only one on the team hitting lefties was the only reason he didnt get benched last year. Maybe someithing along the lines of .270 22HR 85RBI but asking for much more is too much as lethargic as our offense will be. 12 team league he isnt on my radar until after round 15 and I think there will probably still be better options up to around round 20.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:29 pm

Zito is God wrote:Durazo will split time with Hatteberg and Karros so I don't think he'll do any good.

durazo isnt gonna split time with those guys. they need durazo's power in that 5 hole. hatteberg and karros will split time at 1st, durazo will DH. What people need to realise is last year was this guys first FULL season! the stats he put werent all that bad, but they were if you were expecting what i was expecting from him - 30+ HR. I think this year he will do it. he has a full season under his belt and i think should do well. that said, there are about 5,000,000 first baseman that put up similar or better numbers :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:33 am

Between Durazo, Kotsay and Kielty the A's have three guys dying to hit at the #2 spot.

Durazo seemed to hit his stride (um, relatively speaking) when they started batting him 2nd late last year. I don't know what the A's plan on doing with their lineup this year, except that Chavez will be followed by Dye, and that Crosby will be hitting low in that lineup.

Here's my best guess at the A's lineup

Ellis/Kotsay
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty
Chavez
Dye
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty?
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty
Miller
Hatteberg
Crosby

Make of it what you will :~(
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby shortsavage » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:37 am

ramble,

Do you have any sources that support Crosby being a fixture at the bottom of Oakland's lineup?

I was thinking that he could open the season up at the top of it if he had an amazing spring. That or he would have room to move up if he started off the regular season hot.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:55 am

In a 14 team league that starts 1 C, 2 at every IF position, 5 OF, and 2 Util, I have Durazo as my second U. I'm a little nervous with him there. (Of course, I also have Jason Philips and David Ortiz as my two 1B in this league, one ass took 1B for the first 4 rounds to fill out his 1B and U slots - actually a good strategy, but with that and everyone else taking 1B, I lost out.)

In a 12 team league, I would have him high on my watch list, but wouldn't actually pick him up. If you have a deep bench and think he'll break out, then he's probably not the worst gamble.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:27 pm

shortsavage wrote:ramble,

Do you have any sources that support Crosby being a fixture at the bottom of Oakland's lineup?

I was thinking that he could open the season up at the top of it if he had an amazing spring. That or he would have room to move up if he started off the regular season hot.

I don't have great sources, and didn't mean to imply that he'll be a fixture at the 9 spot. However, management has repeatedly said that they plan on batting him lower in the batting order, so I would guess that he'll at least start off the season in the 7-9 spot. Also, the few boxscores I've seen from Arizona have Crosby batting in the bottom part of the order.

It's possible that he starts higher in the order, but I think they want to keep the pressure off him to help him develop. The pressure is going to be squarely on Dye to protect Chavez. I hope he's up to it ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby RynMan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:24 pm

shortsavage wrote:ramble,

yeah, macha has said he will be hitting low in the order to take the pressure off him. i wouldnt look to see him hitting 2 when the season starts. however i was reading today that he may be bumped up in the order if he produces early.....so far he has a great spring and it really is helping his chances.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby PacmanJr » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:38 pm

ramble2 wrote:Between Durazo, Kotsay and Kielty the A's have three guys dying to hit at the #2 spot.

Durazo seemed to hit his stride (um, relatively speaking) when they started batting him 2nd late last year. I don't know what the A's plan on doing with their lineup this year, except that Chavez will be followed by Dye, and that Crosby will be hitting low in that lineup.

Here's my best guess at the A's lineup

Ellis/Kotsay
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty
Chavez
Dye
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty?
Durazo/Kotsay/Kielty
Miller
Hatteberg
Crosby

Make of it what you will :~(

This man speaks the truth...