Return to Baseball Leftovers

Team Composition

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Team Composition

Postby whefner » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:43 am

In a 5x5 Roto league with 2SP, 2RP, 3 P, and 5 bench spots.

I am trying to decide how many of those bench spots should be used on pitching and what kind.

One league I am in I am holding 10 pitchers (5SP, 5RP) leaving only two bench spots for hitters.

Another league I am in I am holding 9 pitchers(4SP, 5RP) leaving three bench spots for hitters.

How many bench spots do you try to use on pitching and why. Also do you try to have more starters or relievers.

Any input is appreciated.
whefner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby whefner » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:46 am

Any Help?
whefner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:48 am

I tend to have 5 RP's, depending on inning limit. In standard yahoo leagues, the innings limit is 1250 (I think), which means you don't want to have more than 4 starters going all the time. If you have 4 good starters, then there's no reason to have another one. If you have 2 good starters and some mediocre ones, then it's probably a good idea to have 5 starters and rotate them in based on good matchups.

As for relievers, it's good to have 2 or 3 good closers and fill in the rest with iffy or potential closers. You can probably get by with only 4 relievers if they're pretty good. Having a 5th bad reliever is not worth it, and you might as well spend that roster spot on another hitter.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby whefner » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanks Eugene,

Would you consider Brad Penny as a good enough 4th starter or would you want to complement him with a Kip Wells or J. Peavy
whefner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EricF » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:21 pm

All three of the pitchers mentioned have breakout potential, but I think the one I like best for a breakout year is Kip Wells.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)

Return to Baseball Leftovers