Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to drop under performing former stars

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to drop under performing former stars

Postby big_al » Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Been struggling with my team because some of the players that I thought were going to be key this year are under performing. What is a good rule of thumb as to when to drop them. There seem like there are better players on the WW than what I'm getting from these guys.

examples
Frucal and BJ Upton.
yahoo H2H league, 10 teams
c - Wieter
1b- Yuk
2nd - Kinsler
3rd - Zimm
SS - Guzman
OF - Braun
OF - Abreu
OF - Span
util – Rios
bn – Soriano, Frucal
DL- A Cabrera
SP – Lee, Santana, Liriano, Hudson, Price , Peavy, Niemann
RP – Rodriguez, Valverde, Qualls
big_al
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When to drop under performing former stars

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 pm

I dropped D.Lee a few weeks ago. So far no regrets, But I got a few others I'd like to drop Atkins is one but I know he will heat up as soon as Hurdle gets canned
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Ender » Fri May 29, 2009 1:22 pm

You don't drop those two guys. You bench them and wait it out or you play through it. Maybe at some point dropping Furcal makes sense since he isn't even stealing but Upton is just showing a low AVG which is something that can rebound in a real hurry.

Over his last 22 games Upton is hitting .224 with 2 HR, 9 SB, 18 R, 7 RBI, if he put up that line for a 155 games on a season he'd be at .224 with 14 HR, 63 SB, 126 R, 49 RBI. Sure the average would be a killer but that player would still have value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 pm

i agree with Ender to a point...it all depends on your bench and who you have occupying it...if it's full of good players on the DL, maybe you drop a slumping Furcal for Zobrist or something like that...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Cobra_Kai » Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Again, depends on the reason for the slump, the severity, and if that player has shown any signs of breaking out. For instance, B.J. Upton (who I have) has started to wake up, and at the very least he's providing a good number of steals and runs. Plus, you drafted him so high that as long as he's giving you something, you don't give up. I also have Carlos Quentin, who's been battling injuries all year so far. I'm going to hang on to him as long as it takes to show either a) that he can overcome these injuries and hit again, or b) that these injuries are going to make him ineffective, at which point I'll get rid of him.

A good question is this - if you drop the guy, does someone in your league immediately enter a waiver priority to try and acquire him? I know that in the case of both guys you mentioned (Furcal and Upton), if they hit the wire in any league I'm in, I'm praying I have the no. 1 priority.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:39 am

When I have the #1 Waiver Priority :-D

... if those are your examples!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby silverZ » Sat May 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Theres no way you should drop Upton is any league. He's young with a ton of talent and could normalize his numbers in a month. Ortiz on the other hand should probably be dropped in regular 12 team leagues because of his age and general suckness for the past year.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby the izzy » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

silverZ wrote:Ortiz on the other hand should probably be dropped in regular 12 team leagues because of his age and general suckness for the past year.

I just dropped Ortiz in my 10 team league the other day. I gave him 2 months to get going, and he never did. He had a weekend off, he even moved down in the batting order. Nothing helped. It seemed like the perfect "cut bait" situation. Plus, I dropped him for C. Hart who had just been released himself a few days earlier. Both are struggling, but at least Hart is going yard every now and then.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat May 30, 2009 1:18 pm

You pretty much shouldn't drop any player you drafted in the first 3-5 rounds unless it's due to injuries. You drafted those players high for a reason.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby yossarian » Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 pm

I dropped both Burnett and Beltre a long time ago, regarding underperforming stars, and I haven't regretted it at all.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers