Return to Baseball Leftovers

I GOT THE FIRST PICK

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Stand Pat » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:35 am

i had 2nd overall pick and was pleased to pick up Arod!
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jockpunk » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:21 am

Pujols went first in my league. I wouldve taken AROD, but you cant go wrong either way.
Jockpunk
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:31 am

I would go A-Rod, but if you really don't want A-Rod for the Yankee factor, Pujols is the only other player that you should draft Number 1.

A-Rod's not Head and Shoulders above Pujols, but these 2 are Head, Shoulders, and probably down to the Knees better than anyone else.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 am

Arod.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -50)

Postby afromangettindrunk » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:00 am

i did go with arod...although my internet bogged down and i was forced to have some of my queued players selected and it chose some of the wrong ones but i got a ton of pitching that i can use to trade
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby zEli173 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:19 am

There is an argument for taking Soriano. (Don't hate me)

2B is a far thinner crop than SS. There are probably 3 SS's (Nomar, Tejada, and Renteria) that are better than the second best 2B, Brent Boone. And the pool of talented shortstops is way deeper than second basemen.

As far as on field performance, here are some observations from Rob Neyer

-------------------
I think the world of Alex's value, too. But as a few cooler heads have pointed out, Rodriguez did benefit from playing half his games at The Ballpark in Arlington, which is probably the hitter-friendliest park in the American League (well, it or Kauffman Stadium). And Soriano suffered from playing half his games at Yankee Stadium, which is fairly kind to pitchers.

Here are the home stats for Rodriguez and Soriano, 2001-2003:

OBP Slug OPS
AR .466 .666 1082
AS .305 .466 771

Big edge for A-Rod. Now the road stats:

OBP Slug OPS
AR .375 .564 939
AS .346 .543 889

And they'd be even closer if we looked at just the last two seasons, as Soriano was just fair in 2001.
-------------------
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=1742271

That makes me pretty excited about Soriano in Arlington and yes, a tiny bit down on Arod.

Especially in a 4 x 4 league Soriano's steals loom large. But even in my 6 x 6 I'd be tempted to nab him instead of A-Rod if I get the first pick.

Of course since - obviously - everyone disagrees with my take, plan A would be to trade A-Rod for Soriano or swap picks with the #3 guy and get something else back. I'd start by asking for his 3rd rounder in exchange for my 4th.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers