Return to Baseball Leftovers

Early composite position rankings (UPDATED 21 JAN)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Early composite position rankings (UPDATED 19 JAN)

Postby dannahann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Composite rankings are updated to include latest info through 18 January
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Any way you could include "scores" after the names to reflect the averages (or whatever stat you are using) of the ranking systems? That would be helpful in assessing the amount separation between players.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

Postby dannahann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Any way you could include "scores" after the names to reflect the averages (or whatever stat you are using) of the ranking systems? That would be helpful in assessing the amount separation between players.

Good idea, I went ahead and updated any new sources and included the average position rank score as well. Please note that different sources rank different numbers of players so I always score any unranked players as 1.15 X the highest rank the provided. So if a source only ranked 20 SP for example, I'd give all the SP not ranked by that source a "23". This shows up in the averaged position rank scores near the bottom of each position as those scores looking artificially low.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Re: Early composite position rankings (UPDATED 21 JAN)

Postby MrT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:48 pm

You need to get the positions up to date. Exp: Beckham and Zobrist are now at 2d
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 227)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:33 pm

I love Billy Butler to death but i'm not so sure about him being drafted ahead of Berkman, Lee, and maybe Pena. I feel like he might of reached his ceiling, and we all know what Berkman Lee and Pena are capable of. He could end up putting up Morales numbers but I see him as a bigger risk than the other company. Anyone else agree?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby dannahann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

MrT wrote:You need to get the positions up to date. Exp: Beckham and Zobrist are now at 2d

Second base looks to be deeper this season as both players would be ranked lower down the list as second basemen. To keep things easier (on myself) I resisted ranking the many multi positional players at more than one position. As for Beckham, I'm not sure he'd even qualify at 2nd until a week into the season (if Ozzie even follows through with his plan to move him).
61*
70**73**762***
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dannahann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I love Billy Butler to death but i'm not so sure about him being drafted ahead of Berkman, Lee, and maybe Pena. I feel like he might of reached his ceiling, and we all know what Berkman Lee and Pena are capable of. He could end up putting up Morales numbers but I see him as a bigger risk than the other company. Anyone else agree?

Early on I think there's a consensus on Berkman at least. R & C's latest Median Draft post has Berkman going at pick 67, eight slots ahead of Butler. Lee-74, Butler-75, and Pena-77 are all essentially going at the same time in early mocks. I think the reason so many early projectors are giving Butler the nod is age. If he goes off this year, they want to be able to point back and say they were onboard before the season. Personally I agree Berkman, Lee, and possibly even Pena are safer bets.
61*
70**73**762***
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers