Return to Baseball Leftovers

HLD to SV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: HLD to SV

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm

A lot has already been said, but I play in a couple of leagues which count HLDs and here are the guys I'm targetting:

Matt Thornton (RP - CHW)
Luke Gregerson (RP - SD)
Drew Storen (RP - Was)
Hong-Chih Kuo (RP - LAD)
Chris Perez (RP - Cle)
JP Howell (RP - TB)

Daniel Bard (RP - Bos)
Brandon League (RP - Sea)
Jason Motte (RP - StL)
Rafael Betancourt (RP - Col)
Joey Devine (RP - Oak)
Sergio Romo (RP - SF)
Dan Meyer (RP - Fla)

I tend to prefer mid-RPs with good ratios as I'm rostering them for HLDs, the occasional K/W, and bolstering my ERA and WHIP. With this in mind, Thorton, Kuo, Perez, and guys like Betancourt can be really helpful. The best part is that many managers forget to draft holds until either very late (when you're looking at fliers on high-upside SPs) or off the WW. If you can secure 3 guys from the top tier, you may have a closer during the second half and if not, you ought to help yourself out in most pitching cats.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:39 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:A lot has already been said, but I play in a couple of leagues which count HLDs and here are the guys I'm targetting:

Matt Thornton (RP - CHW)
Luke Gregerson (RP - SD)
Drew Storen (RP - Was)
Hong-Chih Kuo (RP - LAD)
Chris Perez (RP - Cle)
JP Howell (RP - TB)

Daniel Bard (RP - Bos)
Jason Motte (RP - StL)
Joey Devine (RP - Oak)
Sergio Romo (RP - SF)
Dan Meyer (RP - Fla)

I tend to prefer mid-RPs with good ratios as I'm rostering them for HLDs, the occasional K/W, and bolstering my ERA and WHIP. With this in mind, Thorton, Kuo, Perez, and guys like Betancourt can be really helpful. The best part is that many managers forget to draft holds until either very late (when you're looking at fliers on high-upside SPs) or off the WW. If you can secure 3 guys from the top tier, you may have a closer during the second half and if not, you ought to help yourself out in most pitching cats.

Meh, I have mixed feelings on that. Like in real baseball, relievers are volatile. Last year I drafted Grant Balfour, Hong Chi-Kuo and Scott Shields and thought I had a nice set of three holds guys. That said, I do try to get 1-2 relievers likely to accumulate holds and post high k rates. If I can get one with a track record of good health, low walk rates, etc. then the likelihood of volatility obviously goes down, that said, how many true elite level 8th inning guys are there, they usually end up getting paid to close.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:01 am

BCHAD, nice post. The only guy i don't like is CJ Wilson. Here are a few others.

Evan Meek, Pittsburgh
Juan Gutierrez, AZ
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:55 pm

B-Chad wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:A lot has already been said, but I play in a couple of leagues which count HLDs and here are the guys I'm targetting:

Matt Thornton (RP - CHW)
Luke Gregerson (RP - SD)
Drew Storen (RP - Was)
Hong-Chih Kuo (RP - LAD)
Chris Perez (RP - Cle)
JP Howell (RP - TB)

Daniel Bard (RP - Bos)
Jason Motte (RP - StL)
Joey Devine (RP - Oak)
Sergio Romo (RP - SF)
Dan Meyer (RP - Fla)

Meh, I have mixed feelings on that. Like in real baseball, relievers are volatile. Last year I drafted Grant Balfour, Hong Chi-Kuo and Scott Shields and thought I had a nice set of three holds guys. That said, I do try to get 1-2 relievers likely to accumulate holds and post high k rates. If I can get one with a track record of good health, low walk rates, etc. then the likelihood of volatility obviously goes down, that said, how many true elite level 8th inning guys are there, they usually end up getting paid to close.

+1

It's also my experience that it's very difficult and high risk to draft for holds ... probably more than any other stat.

I'm in a 6x6 (+holds, +ops) h2h league, and I've won it twice without targeting holds during the draft. Too many guys show up during the season if you're attentive.

Great post, btw. Very much appreciated. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks to all who posted, took some great notes from this thread. ;-D
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers