Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bat/Arm Draft Ratios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bat/Arm Draft Ratios

Postby jcook3127 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 am

Hey guys I was going over my last few drafts, comparing my performance to see if there was any kind of correlation between WHEN I'm selecting starters, how early, and how often...and my eventual success...

Last year in particular I went waaay too hitter-heavy...first 12 rounds were all bats (It wasn't planned that way, I was targeting SPs at least 3-4 times only to JUST MISS them..and it kept being that bats were the value play...

But, I'm curious as to how you guys handle it...obviously you'd like to let values fall to you where they come, but do you have any rules of thumb...5 Pitchers by Round 13? Something that you like to go by to see if you're on track...I really think balancing the riskiness of pitching with their deflated draft positions can present a lot of value but you gotta be careful because overpaying for pitching can certainly be deadly

Thanks
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bat/Arm Draft Ratios

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 am

In the few mocks I have already done this year, I have been waiting on pitching in pretty much every draft. Pitching has quite a bit of depth this year. In the mocks, my pitching has not been great by any means(one of the teams had Peavy, Anderson, Porcello, and Buchholz), but it was definitely a staff that I could work with.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am

I tend to be late on my arms nearly as badly as you described in your 'bat draft', yet I always try to get an ace of some sort in the first 5 rounds. If I can get a rock arm or two I feel that I can get some decent overall results with the aid of middle relievers, somewhat steady closers, steady veterans, and surprise waiver guys. A lot of people like to gamble on the Jorge De La Rosa's of the world, I prefer the wait and see approach.

I am thinking that tiers would be of good help here. Perhaps getting an arm from the first two tiers, then an arm from the next two tiers, etc might provide a balanced diet so to say of getting arms when you need them.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 am

There's more pitching this year then last year.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 am

My 12 team leagues, I normally sit till the 7th round to start drafting pitching consecutively. I love bargin SP shopping at the end of the draft. My pitching will of course need work post draft but I keep close tabs of all the SP around the league, so I make sure I'm on top of WW pick ups.

It worked beautiful in one league last year. My first pitching picks were Lester, Cain, Greinke B-)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby da bears » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 am

DaSh 1s wrote:My 12 team leagues, I normally sit till the 7th round to start drafting pitching consecutively. I love bargin SP shopping at the end of the draft. My pitching will of course need work post draft but I keep close tabs of all the SP around the league, so I make sure I'm on top of WW pick ups.

It worked beautiful in one league last year. My first pitching picks were Lester, Cain, Greinke B-)

This is my general approach as well. Once you have a solid core on offense it seems to me there are a lot of pitchers that can improve on previous numbers and there is great value in the 7-10 round range as far as pitching goes.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby silverZ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 am

I like to grab one pitcher from the first or second tier, whoever falls enough to present value, then I grab another one or two from the third tier. Last year I nabbed Halladay in the 4th, Greinke and Vazquez in the 9th/10th. Add a couple good WW pickups like Jimenez and Nolasco(in June) and you have so much pitching depth that you can trade one of them for a stud bat. Ended up trading Greinke for Longoria in June after Aram went down.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 am

i dont have a set strategy...i'll generally look to grab a top tier ace in rounds 3-5 though. usually i'll grab pitching when i dont project a significant drop in the hitting talent over the next few rounds
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:41 am

I take the best player available. I've drafted three SPs in the first nine rounds over in the Cafeholic mock. All were had at great value (Grienke 3, Carpenter 6, Nolasco 9). Pitching is always deep but since that perception is so prevalent it can leave opportunities to get some great early round returns because a lot of drafters are waiting. I'd at least keep this in mind when drafting.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:00 pm

I think pitching is very deep this year, but I also think there is a big drop off after the first tier, which is unusual. I Always wait on pitching and don't usually draft one until the 6 or 7 round at the earliest. I think this year I will try to nab one from that first tier (Halladay, CC, Haren type) in the 3rd round or so and then wait even longer to get my number 2 and 3 pitchers.

As has been said before, you take value and if there are a lot (10-15) of hitters you have ranked very similar but a big drop off in the pitchers after 1 or 2 guys, then take the pitcher. Pitchers are risky, but post steroids era so are a lot of hitters.
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers