Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bat/Arm Draft Ratios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bat/Arm Draft Ratios

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am

in Roto i try to grab one top tier closer, 1 mid tier and 1 or 2 iffy guys late (depending on bench spots)...in a savvy league it can be tough to beat everyone to the wire when news breaks...plus it's nice not having guys ruin your ERA and WHIP...i know the impact is small but usually WHIP standings can be extremely tight and that small impact could cost you a few points
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:47 am

Ideally I'll grab 3 starters in rds 7-12 to anchor my staff and then grab more whenever I see a good value. This should give me the hitters to have a strong offense and enough pitching to be competitive there.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:54 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
moochman wrote:I still have a floating philosophy on when to slot players. Lately I have been going after power bats in the first 1-5 rnds, with a top echelon SP in the mix if I feel they have fallen enough. Then I try to take alternate hitters and pitchers in the next few rounds. What gives me more trouble is when to draft RPs. I play with hold cats but don't bother drafting them until very late, but I cannot pin down when the better time is to take a stud closer(s). Is it usually best to wait for the run to start, or to be initiating the closer run? Is rnd 8 about right?

Never pay for saves. If it's a H2H, your better off just picking off some of the second Tier RP, and keep on top of your CL game all through the year. I grabbed Ardsma, Hoffman and Franklin of the WW in one league last year and it was money in the bank for the SVs department all year. I can't fathom, dropping a pick on a Mo, Papz, Nathan. To much good SP value there.

It really depends on the league. I never used to pay for saves but I have a couple of leagues with owners that are all over the WW and almost all the decent setup men are rostered.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 pm

during the middle of the draft, when all the managers who took elite pitchers early on are busy trying to grab bats, i go on a SP run where i draft upto 4 straight pitchers if the value is there. i like doing this than getting an elite pitcher and bunch of scrubs. it spreads the risk of pitching to 4-5 decent pitchers.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:during the middle of the draft, when all the managers who took elite pitchers early on are busy trying to grab bats, i go on a SP run where i draft upto 4 straight pitchers if the value is there. i like doing this than getting an elite pitcher and bunch of scrubs. it spreads the risk of pitching to 4-5 decent pitchers.

My exact strategy.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Right now I'm in a draft where I've gone all batting, 2 closers for the first about 12 rounds. We'll see how it goes, but I figure worst case I trade where I need to.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers