Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals sign Ankiel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Just off the top of my head, 8th roundish (12 team)? Instead of dropping my 3rd, 4th pick on the Votto, Gonzo, Canadian Bear tier, I can hit up a 2B/SS/3B/C and grab Butler in the ~7th,~8th. I am trying a bunch of different mocks this week on waiting 1B out as long as I can. It's such a insanely deep position, that you may be able to afford missing the Teix/Howard/Prince/Miggy, Votto/Gonzo/Canadian Bear tiers...

2010 Butler is basically the definition of "manbearpig"

Image
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1890
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Tavish wrote:A good flier signing except for one small detail:

DeJesus
Guillen
Pods
Maier
Ankiel
Anderson
and not an option year among them.

Fields and Callaspo will lock up the DH spot unless Getz is sent down or...
There is a trade in the works involving either DeJesus or Callaspo or...
The Royals may just release Guillen and eat $12m since I don't see anyone who would be remotely interested in trading for him even if the Royals ate $8m-$9m of the contract.

Even if the this deal turns out good where you get the 2008 version of Ankiel (which I think there is a decent chance he will be closer to that than he will be to the 2009 version) , I'm not sure I have ever been this confused heading into February about what the 25 man roster will look like coming out of spring training.


I don't tend to worry about players that aren't that good to begin with like Anderson and maier (also Pods). Just like I'm not real worried bout Casilla being out of options as a Twins fan.

But this just goes further to demonstrate the pain of being a Royals (and also Greinke, Soria, Dejesus and Butler). So much sub-mediocrity on one team. yuk.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5372
(Past Year: 108)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 pm

It's more on the management moves the past decade for the mediocrity, IMO...
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1890
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Has Dayton Moore and his management team ever made a baseball decision that made sense? Re-signing Greinke? Is that about it?

He seems to enjoy grabbing these guys in their 30s with poor OBPs and injury problems.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16464
(Past Year: -320)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby Tavish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:33 pm

kab21 wrote:I don't tend to worry about players that aren't that good to begin with like Anderson and maier (also Pods). Just like I'm not real worried bout Casilla being out of options as a Twins fan.

But this just goes further to demonstrate the pain of being a Royals (and also Greinke, Soria, Dejesus and Butler). So much sub-mediocrity on one team. yuk.

I wouldn't exactly say I am worried about those types of players, but they have value and the Royals aren't at the point in their development where they can just give away that type of value in order to bring in reclamation projects with some upside. The team got absolutely killed last season with the lack of depth in the OF when Crisp and Guillen were injured so I like the idea of adding depth if possible. But since none of these players have options left it isn't adding depth, its just making a replacement of mediocrity with more mediocrity.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess somebody had to replace Mike Jacobs
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5024
(Past Year: -361)
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby Tavish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:38 pm

mweir145 wrote:Has Dayton Moore and his management team ever made a baseball decision that made sense? Re-signing Greinke? Is that about it?

He seems to enjoy grabbing these guys in their 30s with poor OBPs and injury problems.

The Kendall deal sucks, but the Pods/Ankiel deals could make sense as the rest of the roster shakes out leading to spring training. Fairly inexpensive one year deals with an option tacked on so they aren't forced to promote players who aren't ready is what they should have been doing for the last few seasons. The entire free agent signing period is nothing but smoke and mirrors anyways, Moore's secret plan is to keep everyone laughing at his major league roster as he continues to scoop up quality (and quantity) prospects in the draft and latin market.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Just off the top of my head, 8th roundish (12 team)? Instead of dropping my 3rd, 4th pick on the Votto, Gonzo, Canadian Bear tier, I can hit up a 2B/SS/3B/C and grab Butler in the ~7th,~8th. I am trying a bunch of different mocks this week on waiting 1B out as long as I can. It's such a insanely deep position, that you may be able to afford missing the Teix/Howard/Prince/Miggy, Votto/Gonzo/Canadian Bear tiers...

2010 Butler is basically the definition of "manbearpig"

Image

Billy Butler in the 7th round? I've seen alot of mock drafts with him being taken in the 4th right with Morales, Berkman and Lee.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2141
(Past Year: -9)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Are you serial?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11301
(Past Year: -37)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby B-Chad » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:10 am

Everyone seems to be missing the real point... yet another body that can DH (or shift someone else to DH) to block Triple-A OBP machine Kila Ka'aihue booooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-t
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2340
(Past Year: 127)
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron