Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals sign Ankiel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:Billy Butler in the 7th round? I've seen alot of mock drafts with him being taken in the 4th right with Morales, Berkman and Lee.

Naw... he's going at 81 in the latest MDP which is 7th round. I'd still rather have Gonzo in the 3rd.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:04 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:Just off the top of my head, 8th roundish (12 team)? Instead of dropping my 3rd, 4th pick on the Votto, Gonzo, Canadian Bear tier, I can hit up a 2B/SS/3B/C and grab Butler in the ~7th,~8th. I am trying a bunch of different mocks this week on waiting 1B out as long as I can. It's such a insanely deep position, that you may be able to afford missing the Teix/Howard/Prince/Miggy, Votto/Gonzo/Canadian Bear tiers...

2010 Butler is basically the definition of "manbearpig"

Billy Butler in the 7th round? I've seen alot of mock drafts with him being taken in the 4th right with Morales, Berkman and Lee.

4th round? in what a twenty team league?

In my 12 team leagues, I haven't seen a mock yet to take him in the top fifty. The Votto/Gonzo/Morneau tier goes down in the 3rd-4th round. Lee, Lance, and Kendry haven't come close to be taking in the top fifty....
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:57 pm

MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:10 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I've been looking at the Cafe mocks

http://www.couchmanagers.com/mock_drafts/?draftnum=3905

Oh yeah, that one....heh....disregard that one, it was mostly autodrafted because we ditched it when Aussie decided to invade and screw everything up. Look at "Phil"'s picks. Taken in the 7th here: http://www.couchmanagers.com/mock_draft ... ftnum=3968 and undrafted so far in the late 8th here: http://www.couchmanagers.com/mock_draft ... ftnum=4671
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I've been looking at the Cafe mocks

http://www.couchmanagers.com/mock_drafts/?draftnum=3905

6.70 Billy Butler 1B KC

4th?
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby kev921 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Past free agent signings for the Royals have not gone well. That's why I can't bring myself to have any confidence in another older free agent with streaky stats and injury question marks.

but let come to reality, the Royals have no confidence in their talent and appear to be okay with being below average until their recent draft picks are Major League ready (very risky move)

Yet, most Royals fans stand behind our team no matter how poor they perform
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -81)

Postby Tavish » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 pm

kev921 wrote:but let come to reality, the Royals have no confidence in their talent and appear to be okay with being below average until their recent draft picks are Major League ready (very risky move)

I'm not sure how that's a very risky move. It's pretty much the only move for teams that aren't going to be in on every big free agent year after year. The team has to settle for below average right now simply because the farm has produced absolutely nothing for years now. Since the Beltran trade in 2003 that brought Buck and Teahen to KC and forced the call-up of DeJesus the farm has produced the following that played any significant innings:

Luke Hochevar
Billy Butler
Mike Aviles
JP Howell
Ruben Gotay
Mitch Maier

6 players in 6+ seasons. I'm not sure if the FO is okay with being below average until the prospects start coming, but in all reality they don't have much choice.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 am

I look at the Royals projected starting lineup and their last year OPS+.

C Jason Kendall 72 OPS+
1B Billy Butler 124 OPS+
2B Alberto Callaspo 114 OPS+
3B Alex Gordon 86 OPS+
SS Yuniesky Betancourt 68 OPS+
LF David DeJesus 106 OPS+
CF Scott Podsednik 98 OPS+
RF Rick Ankiel 76 OPS+
DH Jose Guillen 80 OPS+

This off-season they also add Brian Anderson (last year 75 OPS+) and Josh Fields (last year 68 OPS+

Yikes.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 am

Tavish wrote:
kev921 wrote:but let come to reality, the Royals have no confidence in their talent and appear to be okay with being below average until their recent draft picks are Major League ready (very risky move)

I'm not sure how that's a very risky move. It's pretty much the only move for teams that aren't going to be in on every big free agent year after year. The team has to settle for below average right now simply because the farm has produced absolutely nothing for years now. Since the Beltran trade in 2003 that brought Buck and Teahen to KC and forced the call-up of DeJesus the farm has produced the following that played any significant innings:

Luke Hochevar
Billy Butler
Mike Aviles
JP Howell
Ruben Gotay
Mitch Maier

6 players in 6+ seasons. I'm not sure if the FO is okay with being below average until the prospects start coming, but in all reality they don't have much choice.

Zach Greinke?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 am

MasterX1918 wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Luke Hochevar
Billy Butler
Mike Aviles
JP Howell
Ruben Gotay
Mitch Maier

Zach Greinke?

Kila Ka............ oh wait !+)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers