Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals sign Ankiel

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 am

MasterX1918 wrote:How about Angel Berroa

Alex Gordon?

But Tavish is right they have developed very little talent internally. And small/mid market teams don't succeed if they don't have a stream of at least average players coming up.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 am

Greinke was drafted in 2002, Berroa came over in the Damon trade in 2001. Not sure how I missed Gordon though. Sweet, 7 players in 6 years.

*edit, actually Gotay was drafted in 2000 so that puts them back at 6. For some reason I was thinking they just pushed him through the minors to have a warm body out there.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby kev921 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Tavish wrote:
kev921 wrote:but let come to reality, the Royals have no confidence in their talent and appear to be okay with being below average until their recent draft picks are Major League ready (very risky move)

I'm not sure how that's a very risky move. It's pretty much the only move for teams that aren't going to be in on every big free agent year after year. The team has to settle for below average right now simply because the farm has produced absolutely nothing for years now. Since the Beltran trade in 2003 that brought Buck and Teahen to KC and forced the call-up of DeJesus the farm has produced the following that played any significant innings:

Luke Hochevar
Billy Butler
Mike Aviles
JP Howell
Ruben Gotay
Mitch Maier

6 players in 6+ seasons. I'm not sure if the FO is okay with being below average until the prospects start coming, but in all reality they don't have much choice.

I worry that the Royals will once again pick from the bargain bin and end up with someone who gets hurt (Coco Crisp), another person who's recently had the career year he'll never come close to achieving (Mike Jacobs) and another bad influence (Jose Guillen). These types of bad choices and bad luck makes it difficult to remember many of the good free agent signings.

Please help refresh my memory.
Thanks
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -81)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 pm

kev921 wrote:I worry that the Royals will once again pick from the bargain bin and end up with someone who gets hurt (Coco Crisp), another person who's recently had the career year he'll never come close to achieving (Mike Jacobs) and another bad influence (Jose Guillen). These types of bad choices and bad luck makes it difficult to remember many of the good free agent signings.

Please help refresh my memory.
Thanks

In recent memory they really have only hit on a few. Grudz I would consider a success. Meche, while laughable at the time of the signing has been well worth the money. Then you have to go back to one good year by Stairs and three very good years by Ibanez. The Crisp and Jacobs moves turned out even worse than the free agent signings since they basically gave away a couple cost-controlled power bullpen arms for completely unproductive contracts. I was willing to give Moore a pass on them since the one strength he had shown was the ability to find low cost bullpen arms that other teams missed on. He completely blew that M.O. by turning around and signing Cruz and Farnsworth to big deals.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 am

I was obviously kidding with Berroa btw also
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Previous