"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your favorite Roto league settings?

Postby carter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 am

2 catchers is alot of fun.. its a challenge, but its not as scarce as everyone thinks.. theres ALWAYS production out there if you look (last year i had a mix of Napoli/Flores/Kendall/Miguel Montero and put up respectable numbers with that dirt-cheap combo and had a great team).. the year before i had B Molina/Doumit for a song, and that was the best C combo in the league

i think its a shame what modern sites like yahoo and cbs have done to the ORIGINAL, old-style fantasy lineups.. i run a league at work, and all the guys are PETRIFIED of 2 c's, MI, and CI because they aren't used to it and want the lazified version ..they're scared they wont get an all-star C or SS, so we're gonna go with 1 C, and 3 UTL (instead of MI/CI) and i had to pull teeth just for that... what a bunch of wusses yahoo has turned everyone into ;-)

i say go with your original plan .. ive also tried 3 max moves per week and it works great
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 am

i like the 2 C rule as well, at least for 10 or 12 team leagues...otherwise the position is deep enough that you can still grab decent players off the WW...also after the Top 5 or 6 guys you might as well just wait until your last pick and grab who's left. with 2 Catchers people sure arent going to do that
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby hardyworld » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:41 pm

I honestly hate 2 Catcher leagues. It only causes headaches that are entirely not necessary. Mid-tier catchers gain much more fantasy value than they ever should be. 24-26 owned catchers doesn't make sense to me since there are only 30 MLB teams; having more than the top 70% of players at a position owned when other positions are not proportionally equivalent causes my headaches (example: only top 50% of 2B are owned in the same league).

However I love MI slots. They help balance the proportion of MI owned to close to the number of CI owned.
2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
hardyworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 pm

C
1B
2B
3B
SS
IF
LF
CF
RF
OF
UTIL

SP
SP
SP
RP
RP
P
P
P

B
B
B
B
B

DL
DL

We've used this for a while and I really like it. Deep, but not too hard to manage for newer guys. We have an innings pitched limit and also limit the moves to 20/year. I think 20 is a little low (and would prefer ~30) but it does make the draft more important, without eliminating the chance an owner can make a comeback.
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

2 catchers is cruel and unusual
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I don't mind 2 catchers at all...the more roster spots you have to fill the more you begin to separate the top fantasy owners from the lesser fantasy owners. Do you got with a John Buck type for your number 2 catcher or do you want 2 solid catchers...even this one decision has an effect on the rest of your roster. With that said, 2 catchers isn't a requirement for me, I'm fine with 1 or 2.

I like 14-16 team leagues with deep rosters.... C,1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,OF,OF,OF,OF,OF,Util,SP,SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,RP,P,P

I like this pitcher setting because if you only end up with 1 solid closer you still have to roster at least 2 more relievers. Same with starters, if you are the type who gets 3-5 solid closers but only gets 1 or 2 solid starters you still must roster 2-3 more starters. I like the fact that if you have injuries or a poor draft and you are weak at SP or RP you can't just fall back on the other type of pitcher like if you are in an all P league. You must roster at least 4SP and 3RP at all times. Once again with that said, I'm not opposed to other settings for the pitchers but this is probably my ideal setting.

I also really like max moves...40-50 tops. Having max moves eliminates the need for IP limits and also keeps those from streaming pitchers AND offensive players in excess. You can't just drop whoever, whenever and pickup whoever, whenever and hope they pan out. With limited moves it makes the moves you do make that much more important.

I also like weekly lineups. I will play in 1 daily league a year usually but I don't have the time or desire to constantly hover over my fantasy teams so 1 daily league is all I'll do. I used to be leery of weekly leagues because I didn't think I would like them but I do enjoy them....definately give them a try before you knock them unless you are the type that likes to really micromanage everything and has the time/desire to be at or near a computer alot.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Also, I hate mandatory RP/SP. I like 8-10 P and that is it.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Also, I hate mandatory RP/SP. I like 8-10 P and that is it.

I understand the desire to build your pitching staff how you see fit but what I like more is the fact that with mandatory SP-RP spots you can't just "fall back" on whoever if guys get hurt or if you don't have a good draft and guys bust.

If you have just 9 P spots and you end up drafting SP,SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,RP,RP,RP and then 1 or 2 of your SP get hurt or bust and there really isn't any SP you like on the FA list then you may just "fall back" on a couple of solid middle relievers until you either find suitable SP or can trade for a SP...same thing applies the other way around for RP. But, if you have mandatory SP and RP spots there is no "falling back" on other options if you do run into those injury or bust players. You must always roster the same number of SP and RP as everyone else. What also annoys me is those who draft 1 or 2 SP and then all the rest RP....or even those who take it further and draft all RP and no SP....to me it's lame, sure it may be in the rules but it drives me nuts to see that.

I like to see what people can do when we are all playing by the same rules. While going all RP or all SP is in the rules it's actually removing a whole position if you do that and I am all for making MORE positions if possible, not subtracting positions. Along these same lines it drives me nuts to see guys leave a roster spot open if they don't have a suitable player to fill that spot....you should always have a complete roster at all times, even if that means you have to roster Angel Berroa to fill that MI spot. ;-7

Of course these are all just my personal opinions and I fully realize people play the game in all different ways....just throwing my thoughts out there.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Element » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Our $260 12 team auction league has been using these settings forever.

5x5 (OBP instead of runs scored). NO BENCH, 10 Add/Drop Moves per season. Unlimited DL/ML spots (cannot pick up a player mid-season unless on ML roster though -- no stashing unless player is drafted).

C-
C-
1B-
2B-
3B-
SS-
MI-
CI-
OF-
OF-
OF-
OF-