Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your favorite Roto league settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Your favorite Roto league settings?

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 pm

no bench and only 10 moves...i doubt you get 12 owners to stay in it till the end...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:04 am

Captain Furtah wrote:no bench and only 10 moves...i doubt you get 12 owners to stay in it till the end...

You just have to find the right owners. They're out there.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Element » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Captain Furtah wrote:no bench and only 10 moves...i doubt you get 12 owners to stay in it till the end...

We've had very little turnover. 50% of the owners have been in the league for 8+ seasons. It's been around for 15 years. This puts a lot of emphasis on the draft & forces owners to think twice before picking up a flavor of the week mid-season. You also need to draft for depth.

We pay out to the top 5 teams as well as category winners and those who have an MVP or Cy Young winner on their roster. Most teams are active all season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Element wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

We've had very little turnover. 50% of the owners have been in the league for 8+ seasons. It's been around for 15 years. This puts a lot of emphasis on the draft & forces owners to think twice before picking up a flavor of the week mid-season. You also need to draft for depth.

We pay out to the top 5 teams as well as category winners and those who have an MVP or Cy Young winner on their roster. Most teams are active all season.

Yup, almost as important as league settings are is having the right group of owners....ESPECIALLY in keeper/dynasty leagues.

I also agree whole heartedly with the bolded part as well. Everyone knows about streaming pitchers but there can definately be those owners out there that stream offensive guys, where they are continually dropping and adding any young player that hits the database or any young player who has a good week without any thought at all if they are legit or not, this takes no skill or thought process. Having roster move limits makes you have to know when to pull the trigger and when not to...there is an actual decision to be made instead of....well if he flops I'll drop him for the next hot thing.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I agree and play in a couple keeper leagues and one dynasty league. I also agree that you should have a low number of moves to eliminate (or reduce) the chance anyone can 'stream' players. But if you have no bench and no moves, what do you do if one of your guys gets hurt? With that format it doesnt even matter if you draft guys with multiple position eligibility (which is important if you have limitied moves) because that guy is already plugging a spot...maybe I am missing something...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Element » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Captain Furtah wrote:I agree and play in a couple keeper leagues and one dynasty league. I also agree that you should have a low number of moves to eliminate (or reduce) the chance anyone can 'stream' players. But if you have no bench and no moves, what do you do if one of your guys gets hurt? With that format it doesnt even matter if you draft guys with multiple position eligibility (which is important if you have limitied moves) because that guy is already plugging a spot...maybe I am missing something...

There are unlimited DL/ML moves. So if a players MLB status changes, we can pick up a player w/o using one of our 10 moves. Once that player returns to MLB status, we have a decision to make. Either drop the replacement player (does not cost a move) or drop another player and burn a waive move which would make the replacement player a fulltime option on your roster. The only time you can get burned is in September when teams no longer place players on the DL or in the minors. I generally like to keep 2-3 add/drops for September in the event this happens to me. The best way to improve your roster is through trade. And when you have the right group of owners, it's a beautiful thing. We actually have 3 different owners that used to live in my area that have since relocated. One drives 6 hours to come to the draft the others fly across most of the country. Owners that are this dedicated you don't want to lose! ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby SignGuy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 pm

MTUCache wrote:Ditto. Although I'm not really sure H/AB is all that important of an upgrade over AVG (only a few guys really break this number)

H/AB = Avg, or am I missing something???
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers