Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nolasco will Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nolasco will Verlander

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 am

hybrid wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
hybrid wrote:But um Nolasco didn't have a bad year, Verlander did in 2008... :-?

do you mean he didn't a bad year in the sabermetric sense? because a 5.06 ERA would be considered a bad year by many in the traditional sense.

I wasn't aware people still thought era was a meaningful stat to say whether or not someone pitched well. ;-7

All I care about Nolasco "pitching well" is how many fantasy points he gets me, or categories he wins me b/c I'm not a Marlins fan. High ERA and low wins = less fantasy points or categories won per week. Better luck, which the peripheral numbers suggest for 2010, also doesn't equate to pitching any better. Just show me the damn points, and he will in 2010.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 am

Point is he didn't pitch poorly, which Verlander did so the comparison isn't very good. Also take out Nolasco's terrible start and he pitched the same as in 2008. Anyone that knows era is a bad stat to evaluate a pitcher, will be able to see what I just said and know Nolasco will likely do very well and draft accordingly. Verlander on the other hand had issues including control and loss of velocity to give people warning on drafting him early.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:54 pm

I think I'm going to toot my own horn here.

Well that felt nice. But anyway, I predicted that Verlander would Verlander in '09. I know you all remember. !+)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers