Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will this be B.J. Uptons breakout season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will this be B.J. Uptons breakout season?

Postby Mr. T » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Anyone think B.J. will finally live up to the hype or have we seen what we are going to get. He is still a good young player, but I keep waiting for the power to come. Anyone see any more power coming this year? He has gone way down in most preseason OF rankings.
Mr. T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will this be B.J. Uptons breakout season?

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Upton had his breakout year already in '07. I don't think he's had his career year yet, but he definitly has already "broken out". EVeryone knows he has 20/40 potential.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Mr. T » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:55 pm

07 was more of a teaser really. 24 Hr, 22 SB. He only has 20 Hr over the last 2 years combined. He will be good for steals for sure, but his power numbers make him really just an expensive source for steals, he only hit .241 last year. I agree he has 20/40 potential, but what happened to his power. The 07 season is why I have drafted him way to high the last few years, So maybe he needs to breakout again, and have a 20/40 season. Do you think the shoulder was still bothering him, or is the power gone
Mr. T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BalataGrande » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:55 pm

To me, he'll always be drafted higher than I'm willing to draft him. There is nothing in his past to expect him to hit more than about 20 HRs. He is a good source of SB's but his K rate is way too high for the lack of power numbers. I'll let someone else deal with his streaks until he can prove he can be consistent (and actually care). He's only 24 so who knows what he can become.
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Mr. T wrote:07 was more of a teaser really. 24 Hr, 22 SB. He only has 20 Hr over the last 2 years combined. He will be good for steals for sure, but his power numbers make him really just an expensive source for steals, he only hit .241 last year. I agree he has 20/40 potential, but what happened to his power. The 07 season is why I have drafted him way to high the last few years, So maybe he needs to breakout again, and have a 20/40 season. Do you think the shoulder was still bothering him, or is the power gone

I am not saying this will be his career year, but Upton has been hurt for 2 years in a row now. He played the 08 season with the injury, and was never at 100% last year.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Something about Upton has always rubbed me the wrong way - seems like he has an attitude, though that could be an unfair observation/assumption on my part. Maybe he just needs to grow up a bit and gain some maturity... I don't know, but I'm not willing to use a 6th round pick to find out.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Something about Upton has always rubbed me the wrong way - seems like he has an attitude, though that could be an unfair observation/assumption on my part.

Lots of people say the same thing along with him not having any passion. But I see a guy who wants to win just as badly as anybody else, is usually the head cheerleader in the later innings if the Rays are down by a run, and a guy that played hurt for 5 months in 08 instead of having surgery.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby B-Chad » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Something about Upton has always rubbed me the wrong way - seems like he has an attitude, though that could be an unfair observation/assumption on my part.

Lots of people say the same thing along with him not having any passion. But I see a guy who wants to win just as badly as anybody else, is usually the head cheerleader in the later innings if the Rays are down by a run, and a guy that played hurt for 5 months in 08 instead of having surgery.

I think the reason people are rubbed the wrong way is because of the excess attention places like ESPN placed on him being benched after not running out a few pop outs over the last two years. It's the same reason some people unfairly view certain players as "bad fielders," because of dropping a routine ball, even though stats such as UZR show said player is a good fielder and gets to more balls than others that play that position.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 pm

I love BJ if I can get him in the 6-8th rounds. A guy who will get you 30-40 SBs and might put up some power numbers in what should be a high scoring O. Problem is that others feel stronger about BJ and will take him before me. With his shoulder problems behind him(?) he may regain his power stroke, more likely will even out his swing and hit for a more respectable average.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 pm

B-Chad wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

I think the reason people are rubbed the wrong way is because of the excess attention places like ESPN placed on him being benched after not running out a few pop outs over the last two years. It's the same reason some people unfairly view certain players as "bad fielders," because of dropping a routine ball, even though stats such as UZR show said player is a good fielder and gets to more balls than others that play that position.

Well, that may be partially true, but for me its more of a general observation from watching him play the Sox the last few years. I do think he kind of suffers from the same thing as Manny did where it almost always looks like they aren't trying, when in fact they actually are. All that said, I see no comparison between a guy not running out a pop fly and a guy getting a bad rep for dropping a routine fly - one is a conscious decision to be lazy while the other is a momentary lapse in focus/attention.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers