Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will this be B.J. Uptons breakout season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will this be B.J. Uptons breakout season?

Postby pepperoncino » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 am

i have a good feeling about upton this year... but we should all have reasonable expectations. maybe he doesn't go 20/40, but 15/40 with a respectable avg, 90 or so runs, 80 or so rbis. and he could be a bit better than that.

and if you use .obp instead of avg. (which you should ;)), that's all the more reason to like him, because while he may strikeout a lot, he also walks a lot and should end up around w/ an obp around .370, if he's healthy. last year was the outlier - he was way down in the dept but in 07 and 08 was around .380.

i'd take him in round 7 or 8 and think it would be pretty good value there.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pjalst » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:13 am

I think BJ has something to prove to the fans and his younger brother. With Justin getting all the praise and attention, I think BJ will try hard to put up some numbers. I watched the MLB Network interview with BJ and Justin and it looked like there was some tention between them. They seemed more like rivals than brothers. Hopefully the rivalry will give BJ a kick in the @ss.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
B-Chad wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Lots of people say the same thing along with him not having any passion. But I see a guy who wants to win just as badly as anybody else, is usually the head cheerleader in the later innings if the Rays are down by a run, and a guy that played hurt for 5 months in 08 instead of having surgery.

I think the reason people are rubbed the wrong way is because of the excess attention places like ESPN placed on him being benched after not running out a few pop outs over the last two years. It's the same reason some people unfairly view certain players as "bad fielders," because of dropping a routine ball, even though stats such as UZR show said player is a good fielder and gets to more balls than others that play that position.

Well, that may be partially true, but for me its more of a general observation from watching him play the Sox the last few years. I do think he kind of suffers from the same thing as Manny did where it almost always looks like they aren't trying, when in fact they actually are. All that said, I see no comparison between a guy not running out a pop fly and a guy getting a bad rep for dropping a routine fly - one is a conscious decision to be lazy while the other is a momentary lapse in focus/attention.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The point wasn't that a guy dropping a routine fly ball was lazy, it was the idea that a publicized incident can stick in the memory more easily, thus overblowing your opinion of a player (whether it be they are lazy because you remember them not running out a pop up due to the highlight being shown repeteadly, or you having a negative opinion about someone's fielding because they occasionally make the highlights for dropping routine fly balls). It was certainly an imperfect comparison, my bad.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers