Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best paid projections?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best paid projections?

Postby Uncle Charlie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Has anyone found a set of projections with a customizable scoring option that they like this year?
I used Rotowire the last 2 seasons. The '08 version was great, but the projections for '09 were, in my opinion, terrible.

I like to combine a few sites like CBS and ESPN with a paid site to even out outliers in projections.

Definitely not looking for comments on why paid sites aren't worth it.

Thanks in advance

UC
Last edited by Uncle Charlie on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Charlie
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best paid projections

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:17 pm

You can pay money for J35J's Spreadsheet if you want to. :-b
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby Uncle Charlie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks! I plan to check those as well.
Uncle Charlie
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 pm

I've been browsing the free stuff on Shandler's BaseballHQ. It looks pretty good and I'm considering paying for 3 months to cover through the draft.

Anyone have any opinions on it?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Matthias wrote:I've been browsing the free stuff on Shandler's BaseballHQ. It looks pretty good and I'm considering paying for 3 months to cover through the draft.

Anyone have any opinions on it?

I love the Forecaster. I would just get that and do your own spreadsheet. I do not think you are going to find a magical projections site, no matter how much money you are willing to spend. Your best bet is to to do your own leg work.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)

Re: Best paid projections?

Postby Uncle Charlie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 am

Thanks I'll check those out.

Part of it is I just don't have time to turn projections into the points for my league.
Uncle Charlie
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Uncle Charlie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks I need to learn how to use exel anyways. So maybe since I am starting earlier than most years I can accomplish it that way.
Uncle Charlie
T-Ball Trainer

Postby jtsandwich » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 am

fantistics is great, I have used it for 7 years now and I have been in the money 6 of 7 yrs. You are able to customize to any league settings and you can manually change the projected stats of any player and that is the key for me. It also has all the draft day sofware to conduct your draft and better yet for auctions where it automatically computes inflation per player as the auction is in process to determine there value based off the players taken and the price paid for them.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 am

I used BP for the first time last year. I don't know if the projections were more correct than others I use or have used in the past. I wiffed on Wieters and a couple others they were high on, but still did a bit better than usual for me last season. Probably not much more accurate projections.

However the benefit of reading thoughts from scouts and/or the guys making the projections was invaluable. It changed how I think about certain players and gave me a little deeper understanding than just what the stats say. The one I remember most vividly is them discussing how Alex Rios is a good player miscast as a super-star.

It also gave me specific things to watch on certain players. If player X gets his GB% down or if his contact rate goes up then I might pick him up or make a move to trade for him early in the season. Kinda helped me know what is more likely just a hot/cold start or what might be signaling a breakout or a breakdown. Mark Reynolds was one of those players that I traded for early in the season in every league I didn't draft him. So, yeah, that was helpful.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby kemper5 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 pm

I tried BP a couple years ago (going into the 2008 season) and was dissapointed in how low they projected alot of players, to me it was like reading Chone or Marcels projections where they only projected a handful of guys to go get 30 + HR's or even 100+ RBI. Just last year we had OVER 30 guys who had 30+ HR's and 100 + rbi's in reality..I prefer seeing Bill James,HQ or Rotoworld where they are more realistic to me and don't just project 8-10 guys to go 30/100..Just my thoughts.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers