Return to Baseball Leftovers

PRE/POST ASB Splits

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PRE/POST ASB Splits

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:40 pm

I have been meaning to do this for some time, but I haven't had the chance and thought someone else could help.

Does anyone have the breakdown of players pre/post All star break splits over the past couple years as well as the vs left/right splits. I think this is a very important piece in drafting.

Who are the pre ASB players, post ASB? Who hits lefties, but not righties and visa versa.

If nobody has this, I'll try to put something together over the next couple weeks...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PRE/POST ASB Splits

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Captain Furtah wrote:I have been meaning to do this for some time, but I haven't had the chance and thought someone else could help.

Does anyone have the breakdown of players pre/post All star break splits over the past couple years as well as the vs left/right splits. I think this is a very important piece in drafting.

Who are the pre ASB players, post ASB? Who hits lefties, but not righties and visa versa.

If nobody has this, I'll try to put something together over the next couple weeks...

Howard, Granderson, Either, Nelson Cruz are some LHP/RHP splits to take into consideration

Cruz, Kinsler, Johnny Damon are some Home/Away Splits
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 pm

I really wouldn't put much faith into the pre/post ASB splits in general. There are a couple guys who have 4+ season patterns but it is pretty darn rare for those types of splits to sustain longer than 2-3 years. Usually it is just coincidence.

Having said that I wouldn't want to start Adam LaRoche early in the season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Chris Davis has some mean day/night splits.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Ender wrote:I really wouldn't put much faith into the pre/post ASB splits in general. There are a couple guys who have 4+ season patterns but it is pretty darn rare for those types of splits to sustain longer than 2-3 years. Usually it is just coincidence.

Having said that I wouldn't want to start Adam LaRoche early in the season.

I think you'd be suprised. There are some players that have similar pre/post ASB (or early/late season) splits every year.

Not really looking for night/day or left/right as much (even though I asked for it). More or less looking for players to get early and trade or trade for at the deadline...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Captain Furtah wrote:Not really looking for night/day or left/right as much (even though I asked for it). More or less looking for players to get early and trade or trade for at the deadline...

Dan Haren
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

As Ender says, these pre/post ASB splits have almost no predictive value. You can produce that list, and you might as well coin flip on which players will continue that trend and which will not.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:As Ender says, these pre/post ASB splits have almost no predictive value. You can produce that list, and you might as well coin flip on which players will continue that trend and which will not.

Draft Dan Haren and you will think otherwise!
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Like others have said, it's not worth looking into unless the guys are blatantly obvious like LaRoche and Haren and everyone knows their trends. I wouldn't try reading into it for other players, it's really coincidental.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:08 pm

how can you say its a worthless exercise then say 'everyone knows Haren and LaRoche'. right there you've identified 2...I'm guessing there are others out there that have trends that may not be as obvious. (by trends i mean more than 2 years)

so you if you want to provide some insight into the numbers or players please do so. if you just want to mention how you don't believe in pre/post ASB splits, please be quite until some players are mentioned - then you can defend why they are not good examples.

so far 2 names have been thrown out and you don't have an issue with either one...that gave me a pretty good laugh!
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers