Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets to A's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sheets to A's

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 pm

I look at the deal this way: If Sheets can pitch really well and keep the A's above .500 with a chance to contend, they'll probably hold onto him for the rest of the year and let him go via free agency.

However, if he lives up to his past performance (when healthy) and they can't make a run in the AL West, I really wouldn't be surprised to see teams that are contending maybe offer some enticing farm system players, hoping Oakland will bite given Beane's propensity to stock up on young talent. In this case it's really a no-lose situation for Oakland.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:22 pm

I was disappointed to see that the Rangers didn't end up getting him on the cheap. Was hoping he wouldn't be as far along as he apparently is to command that kind of money elsewhere. :-t

The hidden gem in this signing is the home ballpark factors and the fact that the A's can flip Sheets for prospects at the deadline. I'm surprised those things haven't been discussed here yet.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm

someone ring? :-b
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 7)

Postby The Jury » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

hot4tx wrote:I was disappointed to see that the Rangers didn't end up getting him on the cheap. Was hoping he wouldn't be as far along as he apparently is to command that kind of money elsewhere. :-t

The hidden gem in this signing is the home ballpark factors and the fact that the A's can flip Sheets for prospects at the deadline. I'm surprised those things haven't been discussed here yet.

Is this a joke? This was mentioned in the first few posts of this thread. In the 3rd post, and the 5th one already.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 pm

For a team that wasn't supposed to contend in 2010, $10 million is a lot of money to spend on a guy that didn't throw a pitch in 2009.

If he can stay healthy though Beane should be able to flip him for 2 or 3 prospects at the deadline. No joke, someone will want him to put them over the top. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Prospects
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 pm

SlightlyStoopid wrote:If he can stay healthy though Beane should be able to flip him for 2 or 3 prospects at the deadline. No joke, someone will want him to put them over the top. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that.

naaaah I doubt this. I'd imagine that if the Athletics were unable to make the playoffs they'd probably trade Sheets for prospects. I thought this was obvious?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am

If the A's are in contention, who do you think they could try and get flipped to them for prospects?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am

bigh0rt wrote:If the A's are in contention, who do you think they could try and get flipped to them for prospects?

David Wright ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 am

AussieDodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:If the A's are in contention, who do you think they could try and get flipped to them for prospects?

David Wright ;-7

i heard the Cubs were interested though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers