Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets to A's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sheets to A's

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 am

The Jury wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I was disappointed to see that the Rangers didn't end up getting him on the cheap. Was hoping he wouldn't be as far along as he apparently is to command that kind of money elsewhere. :-t

The hidden gem in this signing is the home ballpark factors and the fact that the A's can flip Sheets for prospects at the deadline. I'm surprised those things haven't been discussed here yet.

Is this a joke? This was mentioned in the first few posts of this thread. In the 3rd post, and the 5th one already.

:-B
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:If the A's are in contention, who do you think they could try and get flipped to them for prospects?

David Wright ;-7

i heard the Cubs were interested though

Diesel.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:49 pm

hot4tx wrote:I was disappointed to see that the Rangers didn't end up getting him on the cheap. Was hoping he wouldn't be as far along as he apparently is to command that kind of money elsewhere. :-t

Agreed.

But I don't see why Oakland did this deal. :-? They won't be in the playoff hunt this year, so basically they are spending $10 million to get a few prospects IF (and that's a big "IF") Sheets pans out? Maybe I'm too far out of the loop on the true "value" of prospects and this deal looks good though. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Madison wrote:

Agreed.

But I don't see why Oakland did this deal. :-? They won't be in the playoff hunt this year, so basically they are spending $10 million to get a few prospects IF (and that's a big "IF") Sheets pans out? Maybe I'm too far out of the loop on the true "value" of prospects and this deal looks good though. :-?

The receiving team will pick up the rest of his contract.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Madison wrote:

Agreed.

It would depend on the type of prospects, but if you look at the draft then 1st round caliber picks are getting in the neighborhood of $3m and you they would likely have a year or two of minor league seasoning so you should be able to evaluate them a little better. Good international players are getting signed for near that amount as well. If they were able to pull a couple solid prospects then it could even out in just money terms even if the A's end up paying almost all of Sheets' salary. Or his arm could fall off and they would have been better off just spending the money on the prospects/international players directly.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:27 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:The receiving team will pick up the rest of his contract.

True, depending on the deal of course, and the deal rests on a questionable arm. Eek.

:-b

Tavish wrote:It would depend on the type of prospects, but if you look at the draft then 1st round caliber picks are getting in the neighborhood of $3m and you they would likely have a year or two of minor league seasoning so you should be able to evaluate them a little better. Good international players are getting signed for near that amount as well. If they were able to pull a couple solid prospects then it could even out in just money terms even if the A's end up paying almost all of Sheets' salary. Or his arm could fall off and they would have been better off just spending the money on the prospects/international players directly.

Thanks Tav. ;-D

I don't think his arm will fall off, but I'm not positive he will land more than 1 solid prospect, or a couple of ok prospects, or a bunch of gambles in return. Just seems like a lot of money to me for that. Myself, I see Sheets doing something like a 3.75 ERA with some good outings and some bad ones. Not horrible, yet not stellar. And with it being only a 1-year deal, I'm just not conviced that teams will really give up a whole heck of a lot to get him at the deadline. Which would make this signing a not-so-good one.

And of course, I could be wrong about any of it. Sheets could be downright amazing, a team could be incredibly strapped for an ace, someone with a large prospect market might "need" Sheets for their playoff run, etc, etc, etc, so there are many factors at play. My gut just says this is too much money given the variables, and this poker player would have folded when the stakes were raised above $6-$7 million.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:01 pm

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are some incentives in play, so he will probably need to perform up to a $14m level or so in order to justify the contract. There were about 40 pitchers last season at or above that level of production. Kershaw ($18.9m) and Zambrano ($16.2m) had the lowest number of innings from the group with 169.

*edit, I missed Hammel who was $16.9m in 168 innings.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers