Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks sign Randy Winn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yanks sign Randy Winn

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Right, but the whole point was to find someone who can hit Lefties... not only can he not hit, he can't hit lefties.

Why couldn't we have just gone with Reed Johnson? He can actually HIT lefties. Now when we face a Southpaw, Granderson, Brett/Winn are all inept at hitting a lefty....

318 OBP :-{ and a 353 SLG :-{ ^2

Winn hit lefties fine in '07 and '08; he really struggled against them last year for some odd reason. Don't know why his ability to hit lefties would fall off, while he would still be able to hit righties (it's possible, i would just say it's unlikely). Anyways, I'm a big fan of Winn. He plays good D, is a good baserunner, and I would think he'll end up being a slightly-below average hitter. Obviously you wouldn't want him hitting in the middle of the order, but I don't see the problem with him either playing LF and hitting 9th or being the 4th OF....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:You'd have three roster spots left to fill still in that case. Mitre and Logan are making near the minimum, so I don't see how you can complain about them. Gaudin could have been nontendered, but he was decent in NY.

Fill three roster spots? Mitre and Logan wouldn't even sniff the 25 man roster. If they were on the 25 man, we'd be in trouble. Gaudin would be the only one.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:56 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:You'd have three roster spots left to fill still in that case. Mitre and Logan are making near the minimum, so I don't see how you can complain about them. Gaudin could have been nontendered, but he was decent in NY.

Fill three roster spots? Mitre and Logan wouldn't even sniff the 25 man roster. If they were on the 25 man, we'd be in trouble. Gaudin would be the only one.

Do you think before you type? If Mitre and Logan aren't under contract you still need to pay someone 400K minimum to be on the roster.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:11 pm

kab21 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

Do you think before you type? If Mitre and Logan aren't under contract you still need to pay someone 400K minimum to be on the roster.

Oh man, this made my day. I guess you know about the Yankee Pitching depth, eh?

Mitre's .85 isnt minimum or Boone Logans .6, isnt and neither is Gaudin's 3.5. They shoulda chose form players within the organization, such as Albaledejo and Melancon and allocated that ~4 million to Damon, instead of wasting that money on garbage.

With how the 25 man roster is currently constructed
Pitchers:
CC Sabathia (LHP)
A.J. Burnett (RHP)
Andy Pettitte (LHP)
Javier Vazquez (RHP)
Joba Chamberlain (RHP)
Phil Hughes (RHP)
Mariano Rivera (RHP)
David Robertson (RHP)
Damaso Marte (LHP)
Alfredo Aceves (RHP)

Pick 2: Jonathan Albaladejo (RHP), Chad Gaudin (RHP), Boone Logan (LHP), Mark Melancon (RHP), Sergio Mitre (RHP), Edwar Ramirez (RHP)

Alba (min), Melancon (min), Damon >>>>>>> Gaudin (3.5), Logan (.6), Mitre (.85), Winn (2)

^and by quite a far margin, too. All that garbage on the right should have been non-tendered and Winn shouldn't have even been considered. Thanks for taking the time to respond, tho. :-)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 am

Just saying that they don't save 600K and 850K if they non-tender those guys. And that's the only way that you come up with 7M originally for Damon.

But really I'm just having fun. :-D
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 am

LOL @ Damon/Boras :-b

LOL @ Da Shis trying to release 45 people to sign Damon.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 am

yes, like New York is so strapped for cash that they can't sign Johnny Damon
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby carter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 am

MasterX1918 wrote:yes, like New York is so strapped for cash that they can't sign Johnny Damon

actually, theyre currently OVER-BUDGET.. especially when you consider the multi-year saleries they owe to Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford next year :-B
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Who cares? :-? Let's all talk about how the Padres signed Garland and Stairs
this
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 am

AussieDodger wrote:LOL @ Da Shis trying to release 45 people to sign Damon.

^Your Right, Boone Logan, Mitre, and Gaudin are essentially cogs to the 2010 team, LOL, especially since only one of them is going to be on the team!

My god, what would we ever do without Mitre and Gaudin :~(
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers